I'm frustrated with people who don't ...

Sorry for a long post...
Recently I was at a 3-day meeting out of town for work. For an evening activity we had a cook out at a colleague's house. While there, we gathered around his deck and a small fire in the back yard. I found myself in a group of 6 guys discussing hobbies. I mentioned my love for audio and began to describe my system and music library. Almost instantly, I was "pounced" for believing that any "hi end" component is worth the money compared to anything else one can buy from Best Buy. "Digital is digital" one guy stated, "an $89 player is as good as anything else out there". I attempted to defend my position but in no way was I able to convince anyone. I told them the next time they're in town, I'd have them over to my place and let them hear the difference, but I know most will not acknowledge the quality of sound. Footnote: I've known these guys for 3-5 years and they are professional level headed guys, I wasn't bragging, I made no grand statements that my system is better than anything else, I just talked about my interest and brought it up when they asked me. The icing on the cake was their disbelief that my system can only play one CD at a time... "you don't have a carousel on your CDP?" Man, I was frustrated.
mijknarf
Don't be frustrated, keep in mind that most people do love music. They love the tunes but are more than happy with a
"500 watts" Mini System from a shelf at K-Mart, their jaw
drops when they hear a Bose Wave Radio. We on the other hand love music and the audio gear of our deams, We are always looking for that edge that will give us the impresion of listening to the real thing. Just enjoy every minute you spend listening to your favorite music. Hector
French_Fries,

Name of your guitar friend if possible. I'm a big fan of acoustical and classical guitar.

Thanks,
Hey Newbee, I've been a photographer ever since I picked up my first camera in 1972. I've owned many Nikons and Canons. They are both fantastic tools offering different features for different people. I’m currently using the EOS 1n system with all "L" series lenses. This camera has been all over the world with me in all kinds of weather conditions. It's been soaked with water and dropped to the ground many times and I've never had a single problem with it.The "L" series lenses are so sharp, I am able to blow-up my 35mm transparencies larger then 16x24 with no real loss of sharpness. I'm talking about "Film" and not "Digital". Do you even know what that is? I can only guess at your youthful age by that childish remark. What really sucks is not Canon, but your Audio system. As for your pallet, I guess there’s room for improvement there as well.
Zippyy, I can't believe you took my comments seriously. Did you not see the smiley face?

You should lighten up, life is too short and you sound like you are a good candidate for an early stroke or heart atack.

Lugnut, You were right, Pentax was an excellent choice. It's amazing what folks will rise to, wish it was that easy when fishing! :-)
Zippyy,

Well, well. A little touchy today aren't we? After Newbee's post, which was intended as humor, I sent him an email saying that I had actually written the same comparison but switched to Pentax just to be on the safe side. I told him how many times I'd witnessed such a comment leading to an argument about the merits of Canon vs. Nikon.

You and I must be about the same age. For the record both brands have fine optics and are very durable but IMHO Nikon established itself as a world class product long before Canon. I do find you to be the exception rather than the rule for having owned many models of both brands as you suggest. About the only common control between these makers is the shutter button. If one is familiar with the operations of one brand then using the other requires more thinking than I like. Having known a ton of photo enthusiasts over the years I've found that the differences between these manufacturers are profound enough that everyone I know chose a rut and stayed in it.

My sense of what you are really saying is that you committed to Canon early on (back in that day they were much cheaper) and are overly sensitive to criticism about your gear of choice. Roll back the clock to when you got into this particular hobby and nary a single professional photographer used anything but Nikon.