Do power conditioners help with unwanted hum/noise

If so what are the names of the units that give you the biggest bang for the buck...Thanks
tmoore
Edesilva brings up some valid points, but i'm with Kal on this one. The effectiveness of the power line conditioning in terms of noise & hum will have to do with the source of the noise & hum. If you've got a ground loop, adding a PLC won't do much to cure that. At least, not in most cases. Sean
>
Again, I'm in agreement with Sean. Hum, from my experience, is not remedied by power conditioning. Dedicated lines first: absolutely! Then a good pc and you're on your way to electric nirvana. (oops, don't forget those power cords, as well. not easy to do inexpensively) Treat your electric as another fundemental component. peace, warren
In some cases, even dedicated circuits or power conditioners might not help. If the house power system is not grounded properly or there's excessive current in the neutral wiring (dimmers, fluorescents, computers, etc), or if strong external RFI/EMI is present (nearby radio towers, radar facilites, etc) then no power conditioner will help short of an isolation transformer. Power conditioners are not a cure-all; it's like saying all a wrecked car needs is a coat of wax.
I agree with the boys . Noise and especially hum are symptoms of a problem with a ground loop, a bad connection , a bad cable , or something along those lines.
A good PLC can enhance your listening pleasure but in my experience its not a cure for a problem existing at the source.
I think that we are all in agreement here. That is, even dedicated lines, line conditioning, etc... can't solve a problem that is component or system based. How about describing the problem that you're having? Someone here might be able to point you in the right direction.

Gs: "it's like saying all a wrecked car needs is a coat of wax"

Isn't that like the old saying about a "dog" of a muscle car i.e. "if it don't go, chrome it" : ) Sean
>