Non-magnetic Stainless Steel?

Any metallurgists out there? I assume that this magic feat is done by the trace elements added to produce various kinds of steel, but I thought that ALL steel was magnetic. Does anyone know which trace elements and the different proportions of these trace elements that can transform regular stainless steel into non-magnetic stainless?
fatparrot
Riffer, thanks for those URL's, and my education! I only have had experience with stainless steel used for other than electronic purposes. I collected knives at one point, so I'm familiar with various types of steel. I checked, and all of my stainless steel blades ARE magnetic. Actually, did you know that a high carbon steel blade will hold a better edge than a stainless steel blade?

Sean, I'm going to have to carry a magnet with me, and check out those solid steel car antennas...hope that I don't get arrested for attempted auto theft :-)
FP: I don't know if factory car antennas are ferrous or non-ferrous. I was primarily talking about about aftermarket RF antennas when i made that comment. I would be curious to find this out myself. I'll test mine and let you know tomorrow : ) Sean
>
300 series stainless is non magnetic, while 400 series IS magnetic. I think it has to do with whether or not there is any nickel content.
Trivia - stainless steel was discovered at a plant in northern Indiana. Test alloys were stored outside, one day a janitor got curious and asked why a particular piece of steel that had been out in the weather for quite a while wasn't rusted. Doubt that his name made it on the patent though.
Ok not audio related, just always thought it was a neat story.
Carefull, what people think is stainless steel is often just chrome electroplated steel. Ex. some cutlery and antennae on automobiles. That might explain the "magnetic" qualities of some "stainless steels". It is mostly the nickel in stainless steel that give it its "non-corrosion" properties. Nickel is non-ferrous (obviously!) and non-magnetic.

Bob P.