Cryogenic Tempering

Does cryogenic tempering have a impact on audiophile equipment?
holman
Elgordo, I did not know about your hobby of shooting. It is one of mine too. I have a Schuman bull barrel fitted in my Carter Custom 1911 that has been cryo treated. Cryo was done prior to fitting and other work, so I did not get to run a before and after. I was assured that in addition to improved accuracy, the usable life expectancy would be increased. Wonder if this increase in life applies to stressed parts of audio equipment as well?
I started a thread that was similar to this awhile back. Search for "Cryo Your Cables". I am also intersted in having this treatment done to my Bushmaster V- Match AR-15 rifle and the rotating assembly of my Suzuki GSXR dragbike engine but so far have not done this. A guy I work with builds go-cart racing engines and absolutely swears by it. He won't put together an engine without it. Unfortunately I do not know anyone personally that has had his cables treated.
Sorry to spoil your fun. Metals will have no problem. But tread carefully with the standard rubbers, plastics or adhesives in your phono cartridge suspension or cable insulation. They may not stand the cryo temperatures. I've seen a cable catalog with special "arctic grade -20 ~+70degC" specification with unusual blue or yellow sheath; which means there is a distinction compare to normal cables.
Or better still, check with the manufacturer, he may let you into some other secrets too! happy tweaking.
Albert: Ah, the 1911. 90 years old and still going strong. I also have a custom model which I love shooting but I hate carrying in this Florida heat, so it mostly stays in the safe. I'm moving to New Hampshire in a year of two so I can probably cryo the entire gun by leaving it outside on a winter's night. ;>) Don
Has anyone performed this process on tubes? If so, what was the result? I ask the question because an associate has told me he has sent out about 50 NOS Telefunken, Mullard and Amperex 12ax7's for cryo. I personally thought the risk was too great.
More to discover