Which Rack Is Better?

I am in the market for an audio rack, and I've narrowed my options down to three: in order of increasing cost, the Atlantis Reference, the Polycrystal, and the Zoethecus Reference. As I see it, the advantages of each are as follows:

1) The Atlantis Reference is very heavy and sturdy, it has a larger space at the bottom for a power amp, all shelves are 3/4-inch MDF and are spike-decoupled, and the price is only around $500.

2) The Polycrystal has anti-resonant shelves, and has adjustable spacing between shelves. It has been very well reviewed, and costs a lot more money.

3) The Zoethecus has the anti-resonant z-slab shelves, is superior aesthetically to the Polycrystal, and is even more expensive. I would need to special-order it, unless I could find one with a larger space at the bottom on Audiogon.

I believe that my system (Denon 1650AR/Bryston BP-20/Aragon 8008BB/Thiel 3.6/Pro-SilwayII/Oval9) is good enough that I would hear any significant sonic differences between the racks.

Which of these racks would be the better choice, i.e., would there be enough of an improvement over the Atlantis Reference to justify the higher cost?

Thanks for your input.

Alan
a_hayman
I've been trying to choose a rack for a couple of months now and have found it one of the most frustrating audio system decisions I've ever faced. There are so many conflicting opinions as to which approach is best sonically--three different camps. It's not practical to audition these things. (Perhaps Ken Lyon will come by this thread and shed some light on the debate between the three different camps.)

I considered Zoethecus, Salamander Synergy, Billy Bags, Polycrystal, RixRax, Standesign, you name it. In the end, I punted and bought a discounted, discontinued Target rack as a stop-gap. The thing rings like a church bell when you knock it, but it's plenty rigid.

If I could be convinced that the Synergy stuff is not a major sonic compromise, that would probably be my first choice because of the combination of looks, price and flexibility it offers (I like the option of adding drawers). Eventually I want a RixRax, but only if I'm convinced that its sonics are good. Too expensive if it's mediocre-sounding, even if it's gorgeous furniture.

---dan
Everyone--check out the Sistrum rack by Starsound Technologies (email me for Robert's phone no. in Ohio). There are reviews available also. It is stunning looking and suspends all equipment on top of brass Audiopoints. The rack itself is carved metal shelves bolted to stainless steel rods filled with minute steel particles (like black sand, it will destroy your carpet so fill the rods outside, and don't breathe the dust!), with Audiopoints screwed onto the bottom of each rod. This rack sounds like getting a new component. Bass and detail are articulated, background is utterly silent. I bought a pair of their smaller stands designed for floorstanding speakers as well, for my Genesis 500s, and the bass and detail in recordings were even further enhanced. I think the Sistrum stands and platform and going to get a LOT of positive press, try them before the prices skyrocket. 5-shelf stand, including all Audiopoints and the steel fill, is approx $1600. I was using a Bright Star Rack of Gibraltar and a Solidsteel 5 shelf rack before the Sistrum. Big, big improvement.
Before deciding on a rack I will suggest that you go to the Neauance website (http://www.neuanceaudio.com/) and research their custom shelving. I went from a very heavy cabinet (400-500 lbs) equipped with sandwiches made of soft footers, maple platforms and brass cones to the Neuance shelving and am very pleased with the results. I cannot recommend my rack (which has had some of its shelf supports break under very little weight and I am also not receiving any help from the dealer). I can however recommend the Neuance shelving which delivers a very even handed sound. I do not quite understand what the shelving does (other than drain off vibration), but it sounds like the musicians are playing "better" (more in time) and there is more "play" to the music, no matter what type it is. Before with cones and such, I could get the system too kill (say on female vocals) but then when I put on a classical piece, things sounded a bit out of balance. If I moved things around to flatten out the mids on the classical piece, then female vocals did not sound as involving (it was crazy and I was never able to get everything to sound right without constant adjustment, especially the bass and highs). I could get it to sound exciting, but then the "exciting" sound would quickly tire me out in an hour or so and I would be fussing with things again. I have not touched a thing in the past week and half and all types of music sound good to me on the system. I don't even think of too much of this or too little of that anymore and just enjoy the music. If you do a search under Neuance you will find a few other members that also use the product. I originally read RedKiwi's post's and became interested in it myself. The Neuance website has a list of recommended racks to use with their shelving and they are in all price ranges. I just started out with two shelves, myself, and will order two more when I can budget them. They are not expensive ($150-$165 each) but I am cheap/poor.
I have a Neuance shelf on order for the top of my Target stand, and I'll put the turntable on it. The lower shelves fo the Target rack don't conform to the Neuance requirement for upward spike or knob support, unfortuantely, and my Sony 777ES is too heavy for Neuance. I'm anxious to see how this will work out.
Everyone--check out the Sistrum rack by Starsound Technologies (email me for Robert's phone no. in Ohio). There are reviews available also. It is stunning looking and suspends all equipment on top of brass Audiopoints. The rack itself is carved metal shelves bolted to stainless steel rods filled with minute steel particles (like black sand, it will destroy your carpet so fill the rods outside, and don't breathe the dust!), with Audiopoints screwed onto the bottom of each rod. This rack sounds like getting a new component. Bass and detail are articulated, background is utterly silent. I bought a pair of their smaller stands designed for floorstanding speakers as well, for my Genesis 500s, and the bass and detail in recordings were even further enhanced. I think the Sistrum stands and platform and going to get a LOT of positive press, try them before the prices skyrocket. 5-shelf stand, including all Audiopoints and the steel fill, is approx $1600. I was using a Bright Star Rack of Gibraltar and a Solidsteel 5 shelf rack before the Sistrum. Big, big improvement.