Class D amps,bang for your buck ones

Hello

First off,

I don't know much about class D amps, I did buy a Sonic Impact T-amp from Parts Express once to play with, I returned it because I don't have the speakers for it.

I did manage to hook it up to a pair of BIC Venturi horn speakers, and was floored with the clarity of the amp.

Those speakers had so many problems that I just didn't want to monkey with them, bad x-overs with busted pots,only sometimes could I get them to work right.

So, this leads me to my question.

Whats a high value class D amp with some hp/balls to drive normal speakers?

I'm looking for the Forte 4 of class D's, assuming (class D)is a tripath based/type amp.

Any suggestions or comments welcome.

I have an Accuphase pre and a minimax pre to use.

Thanks
mcgarick
Onkyo has a stereo integrated amp that is class D - Model A-9555. It has been pretty well reviewed.

Mark
THat PS Audio HCA-2 was PS audio's first foray into Class D amplification. Although it had garnered some reviews in its early life, it was nothing to write home about as it was summarily dumped into the second hand market once its hype had passed. They must have released it in the early 2000s.

Their GCC/GCA line with the gaincell technology seems to have completed the maturation of their Class D designs and are hitting their used market as we speak. It seems as if the GCC line had more of the power and neutrality that is commonly associated with what you read about Class D amps that are "bulletproof" in reliability.

Their newer line, with the 1/2 size chassis do not seem to impress as you see them dumped into the second hand market without really much time in people's systems. For the choice of words that people use to describe the smaller digitals, they do not elicit much praise.

Of course, your miles might vary.

PS: I own a Henry Ho H20 amp, the S250 and these amps are bloody incredible even their non signature versions.
I now have had an opportunity to upgrade to the NuForce Reference 9V3SE and allow them to burn in. Burning in was critical. What incredible amps. I doubt you will be seeing any of these on the used market. I am a NuForce fan for life.

Mark
Markalarsen
I now have had an opportunity to upgrade to the NuForce Reference 9V3SE and allow them to burn in. Burning in was critical. What incredible amps. I doubt you will be seeing any of these on the used market.

Let me be the first to take that bet please. This is Audiogon after all. :)