Class D amps,bang for your buck ones

Hello

First off,

I don't know much about class D amps, I did buy a Sonic Impact T-amp from Parts Express once to play with, I returned it because I don't have the speakers for it.

I did manage to hook it up to a pair of BIC Venturi horn speakers, and was floored with the clarity of the amp.

Those speakers had so many problems that I just didn't want to monkey with them, bad x-overs with busted pots,only sometimes could I get them to work right.

So, this leads me to my question.

Whats a high value class D amp with some hp/balls to drive normal speakers?

I'm looking for the Forte 4 of class D's, assuming (class D)is a tripath based/type amp.

Any suggestions or comments welcome.

I have an Accuphase pre and a minimax pre to use.

Thanks
mcgarick
Jtwrace, the ClassD amps look very interesting as they utilize some fairly novel technologies from TI. What will you be using for power supply. .. unless I'm wrong, they seem to require an external PS. Guido
No external power supply required if you buy one of the kits. Just an power cable. I keep telling myself to try the 125 watt version.
Kkm, I did the same thing (audiosource/ebay/tube pre). I had a mint Son of Ampzilla I thought sounded pretty good, but what clear,superior, balanced, muscular sound for $250. I am still amazed. Music, just music. I do believe a Class "D" should be matched with a tube pre.
Yes, I got one of the kits. This one: http://classdaudio.com/index.php/class-d-amplifier-kits/home-kits/600w-class-d-power-amplifier-and-power-supply.html

add a power cord and you're off. The board is already built you just have to attach the toridal.
01-18-10: Jtwrace
Yes, I got one of the kits. This one: classdaudio.com/index.php/clas...

add a power cord and you're off. The board is already built you just have to attach the toridal.
What are the challenges to mounting one of these on a chassis and adding a housing? Will it fit into an over-the-counter chassis or does one have to be fabricated to size?