Earplugs for conerts?

I'm hoping a few people here know about some earplugs I can buy that have balanced attenuation, suitable for music at concerts. I'm worried about my hearing since my ears usually ring for days after I go to concerts.

So far I've heard about the ones Etymotics and Hearos make. Heros offer 12dB, but the Etys offer a bit more.
jcdem
Each time your ears ring you are damaging your hearing. I used to go to concerts without ear protection until I had a very close call.

I walked out of the concert with the usual ringing in the ears. Except, after a day or so, my right ear KEPT ringing. And ringing. I let it go for a week, then went to see my doctor. He cautioned me that the ringing may never go away. I was very upset and depressed, thinking that one of my most pleasurable pastimes was threatened. The ringing ear kept me from sleeping, because it was hard to fall asleep, and it made me not want to listen to music because everything sounded wrong.

I was lucky. After a good five weeks, the ringing stopped. I'm sure I have some permanent damage from that, but now I get my hearing checked as part of my regular physicals, and I wear ear protection while doing lots of things.... like mowing the lawn, for example.

I don't think human beings were built to withstand some of the incredibly loud noises that we're exposed to almost every day. I would urge (I'm not too proud to beg) you to take care of your hearing.

We're all audiophiles because we enjoy the distinct, nuanced sounds that our equipment provides. How sad it would be to damage the most important component we have.... our ears.

Thanks, and I apologize if I sounded preachy.... but I like my fellow Audiogoners, and I don't want anything bad to happen to any of you.
Try the soft plugs you can get at any Home Depot/Walmart that are sold typically for protection from loud machinery. You roll them tight and insert them in the canal where they expand and give good sound suppression while not specifically interfering with any particular frequency. I first used these as a paratrooper where we were issued these to protect against the loud turboprop engine noises and continue to use them with lawn maitenance equipment at home. They work very well, are cheap, and comfortable. Good idea to use something!

Charlie Daniell, DVM
I just saw the Who last year paid big bucks for fifth row seats and by the third song I had to take a break and wander back to the "cheap" seats it was the first time in my life after a 100 or so concerts that I asked myself "what am I doing" it actually hurt I guess I am not as young as I used to be or maybe I am God forbid smarter in any event with all the money I have invested in this hobby a pair of ear plugs could be considered a tweak that works.Won't get fooled again !
More to discover