Has audiophilia changed your music taste?

Before I got into this hobby, I was big into heavy metal. I am very much into progressive bands like Dream Theater and Queensryche. My collection consisted of rock 90% and classical/jazz/other at 10%. Ever since I started getting into audio, my listening has changed and so has my music collection. What used to be 90/10, lean to rock, has changed to about 70/30 and changing weekly. Lately, I can't keep Patricia Barber off my system. I absolutely love her. The thing is, the other day I put on some Pat Travers and the listening only lasted about 30 minutes before it was back to Patricia Barber. For some reason, rock doesn't sound as good as it did before. Maybe it is my system or maybe it is me.

Anyone else like me?
matchstikman
The ideal system should make all your music sound good. Or as good as possible IMHO.
But your stereo can affect what you listen to as JA said in his Wilson Sofia review. Before the Sophias, he had the Revel M20's. Stopped listening to orchestra, switched to chamber music. In come the Wilsons, out goes the chamber music.
This can be a crazy hobby. For example I listened to my favorite song on a mini system at Target. Didn't sound that great. Highs are distorted and the sound is not that clear. I then listened the same song on some $10,000 speakers. Didn't sound that great. Highs are distorted and the sound is not that clear.
What happened? The speakers were so revealing they brought out all the faults in the recording. This song sounded as bad as when it was played on a mini system. While these speakers could be used in a recording studio to punish engineers for the crap they are putting out, they made anything other than perfectly recorded music sound bad. Talk about a stereo controlling what you can and cannot listen to!
For you die-hards who still subscribe to Stereophile, Upscale Audio has a repeating ad. It is on page 80 of the August 2003 issue. It reads:
"Spent $20K at another store ... and got this. It sucks. Went to Upscale Audio. System still sucks. But a higher level of suck".
LMAO. Hats off to the world of high fidelity music reproduction :-).
Cdc I don't think any system can make all music sound good.
A point many Audiophiles seem to miss that even a crappy system can distinguish between "good" and "bad" productions-I've been noticing since I had the cheapest system as a teenager how music has been recorded.
Of course before everybody jumps on me I think most of us pursue great audio reproduction because it enhances the listening experience.
Your stereo cannot change what you listen to only you can.
Some people persue the hobby for different reasons as this thread indicates and that's fine.
Isn't one of the greatest aspects of a great upgrade in your system going through your collection again?
When I do this I never think I must rush out and get some better recorded music.
But sure some people have real problems with how badly they perceive music to be recorded.............
I'm not saying badly recorded music isn't a problem,it can be but I simply don't approach music this way a great album badly recorded is still a great album.
Nothing's perfect.
No. My tastes have changed. I listen to fewer symphonies and big bands and more small ensambles. I believe my tastes would have evolved much the same way had I lived in an age prior to sound reproduction.
I never saw this post before, but for me definetly yes. Im a rocker at heart, but the fact that other types of music, such as jazz or big band for example have many more intruments involved, has me experiment more, and gives me more of a chance to really hear the full potential of my system. Of course as you get older, you like to experiment more , even if your not an audiophile..Its kind of like food..after a while, you get tired of the same old thing.
yes. I look forward to listening to my stereo/music when I get home from work. It has enabled me to expand my musical horizons. I used to listen only to rock and classical. Now I listen to jazz,blues,gospel,bluegrass,latin. I still haven't been able to appreciate opera,country,rap,new age,smooth "jazz" however. Enjoy listening.