Are Dealer Recommendations Useful or Useless?

I had asked several dealers what their recommendations were for speakers for a specific product line of electronics that each of them carries. I realize that they all do not carry the same speaker product lines so what I got was a recommendation on what they do carry. Not surprised I guess. Only one or two asked any specific questions about my listening/musical tastes. Just a quick note back to me with their recommendation in the price ranges I asked for.

Did not seem like much of an effort to me.
bigkidz
Audiokinesis offers sage advice. Advice that should be heeded by all of us. Regardless of the industry or circumstances.

What perplexes me is the attitude that some have developed by thinking that simply being a participant in this specific hobby somehow shields them or elevates them from the ill-effects of diverse forms of human behavior.

Don't get me wrong, there's plenty of good people in this hobby, but there's plenty of the other types as well. Just like in the real world.

There an old story: "If an uneducated man walks up to a vegtable cart with a horse attached, he'll steal as many vegtables as his pockets will hold. You take that same man and educate him, he'll find a way to steal the entire horse and cart."

In other words, education does not increase morality. If anything, it's the other way around.

And no I am not a misanthrope. At least not yet. But there have been occassion where I wish I were. ;)

But I always hope for the best in others while simultaneously trying to prepare for the worst.

-IMO
Duke is the best. If I lived in New Orleans, I'm sure I'd own Sound Labs by now.
Hey Onhwy61,

Lets get one thing straight. Do you know what fallacy of composition means? Whether you think you have the sensibilities or you are just a victim of smart marketing is besides the point. Fact of the matter is anyone dropping into a Mercedes dealership with desire for a luxury car and appears to have the purchasing power will not be directed to a Lexus dealership. Please don't fall into the fallacy of composition that just because you think you have "taste" then these two fine vehicles have obvious distictive advantages. There are tons of car buyers out there that does not share your own background and experiences.