Myrtle Wood

Used under high quality gear (especially preamps), what impact does the use of myrtle wood have on the sound?

Richard
drrdiamond
So I guess nobody is interested in my amazing new power cables using baby harp seal intestines as conductors??
Good one, Jmslaw.

I was a little surprised by the myrtle wood thing too, but I give Cardas the benefit of the doubt because I assume it is being sourced from "scavenged" trees, i.e, dead or blowdowns or whatever. Don't automatically assume he's out in the woods with a chainsaw late at night; at least ask him before concluding that.
Jmslaw, only if they were inhumanely clubbed to death, and use dried blood as the dielectric.
As I mentioned above, I am a guitar maker, and deal with rare and endangered woods all the time. These woods that are on the CITES list are all regulated. Any of this wood imported must be certified "pre-ban" or certified as harvested from trees that have fallen naturally. There is very tight regulation on this matter, and use of these woods is no longer contributing to the deforestation and extinction process. The regulation is about as tight as elephant ivory, so it is pretty tight. The prices have increased commensurately with the reduced availability. It is not unusual to pay as much as $5000 for enough premium Brazilian Rosewood to make the back and sides of an acoustic guitar. That is just the raw material cost. I also sometimes use elephant ivory for bridges and nuts, and these all come with a sealed certification of its legal pre-ban origin, and the papers must accompany the new guitar when sold, and even during the future owners' possession. No more elephants are being slaughtered for this ivory that is certified. However, there are still poachers and black marketeers that are unscrupulous criminals who engage in this illegal trade. They are strongly punished when caught engaging in this activity, whether it is Brazilian Rosewood or Elephant Ivory. Any manufacturer who is using these products, and is following the regulations, is not contributing to the demise of these species. In fact, they pay high prices to ensure compliance with these regulations, and to ensure that they are not doing harm to the environment.
Twl,
According to your discussion, it seems that the use of such a hard wood would be transmitting vibrations to the preamp (in my case a Krell KRC-HR), and in most cases that seems foolish.

I haven't yet heard the SONIC result of the use of this wood, as originally asked.

Richard