power conditioning - source vs amps

Someone whose opinion I respect has told me that the PS Audio powerplant's work better for source equipment, and the Shunyata Hydra 8 works better for the amps. Has anyone else had that experience or care to comment?
johnax
If you get the electrician back -- you might want to consider installing another couple of dedicated circuits. I think three dedicated circuits is great and four is ideal.
If you have everything plugged into the Hydra, then you only need the 1 dedicated line.

Rob
I finally got to take the amps off my Hydra and compare the sound with and without. The Hydra is plugged into a dedicated circuit with wattgate outlet and an Elrod Statement powercord. I removed my 600 watt monoblocks and plugged both of them into a single 20 amp dedicated wattgate outlet. The difference was staggering, and much for the worse without the conditioner. I was really expecting there to be increased dynamics and a real potential for improvement without the conditioner, so I did not have a preconceived notion prior to the experiment. I also left the system on for an additional 12 hours just to be sure it wasn't just from turning things on and off. Anyway, I found it literally unlistenable without the conditioner. It was harsh, lacked pace and rhythm, the soundstage lost all perspective, and was very 'unmusical'. When I plugged everything back in, it thankfully improved. Does the conditioner serve as a mask/filter for problems or does it allow my components to function optimally - who can say and who cares. For me, this issue is settled. The amps are staying plugged into the Hydra.

I would also just say that without the conditioner, things sounded a bit louder, more forward, and more detailed. However, it all lost it's proportionality which is crucial for conveying the proper soundstage for classical music. So I guess there is some room for personal music preference and system to say that some may like it without, and some may like it with.

Rob
I just went through this analysis myself recently. I had been using 2 Hydra 2's (240V versions) to feed my two Linn Klimax Solo 500W monoblocks using Anaconda Alpha powercords. I went the 240V route because to my ears the amps sounded better in that set-up.

Recently I bought a darTZeel power amp and decided to reassess the most optimal power delivery. Initially, I went straight into the wall in 120V mode and then I reinserted the Hydra 2. Almost didn't even need to go sit down and listen the improvement was so immediate. Then I decided to try the Hydra 8 in place of the Hydra 2. An immediate and very audible further improvement. Sold me immediately and I have since ordered a 240V Hydra 8.

Then...I decided to try the new Helix version of the power cords...all the store had to demo was the Python Helix. This model bested my non-Helix Anaconda's and accordingly I have ordered new Anaconda Helix's for my amplifier and front end equipment. The incremental performance of the Anaconda is probably best extracted on high current devices like amplifiers.
earflappin, just what exactly is 'high current' amps. If you have a 480watts amp running on 240V mains, that would be 2 amps and 4 amps on a 120V. Not exactly high current in my book! frankly, any power cord larger than 14ga is pointless!
Bob P.