Jazz for aficionados

Jazz for aficionados

I'm going to review records in my collection, and you'll be able to decide if they're worthy of your collection. These records are what I consider "must haves" for any jazz aficionado, and would be found in their collections. I wont review any record that's not on CD, nor will I review any record if the CD is markedly inferior. Fortunately, I only found 1 case where the CD was markedly inferior to the record.

Our first album is "Moanin" by Art Blakey and The Jazz Messengers. We have Lee Morgan , trumpet; Benney Golson, tenor sax; Bobby Timmons, piano; Jymie merrit, bass; Art Blakey, drums.

The title tune "Moanin" is by Bobby Timmons, it conveys the emotion of the title like no other tune I've ever heard, even better than any words could ever convey. This music pictures a person whose down to his last nickel, and all he can do is "moan".

"Along Came Betty" is a tune by Benny Golson, it reminds me of a Betty I once knew. She was gorgeous with a jazzy personality, and she moved smooth and easy, just like this tune. Somebody find me a time machine! Maybe you knew a Betty.

While the rest of the music is just fine, those are my favorite tunes. Why don't you share your, "must have" jazz albums with us.

Enjoy the music.
orpheus10
There you go again, Rok. Why make a provocative comment that not only is factually incorrect in it's omissions, but seems to diminish the validity of "all the so-called latin stuff"?

Your comment shortchanges the equally important influences of European (Spanish), Arab, and in the case of Peru, Andean musics. Sure, the African influence is obvious in the rhythmic structure of Latin music, but there is a whole lot more going on in it than that. You might want to reconsider your assertion.
There YOU go again misunderstanding my post. By use of the word 'stuff', I was speaking of all latin Jazz. This is a JAZZ thread. On ocassion I have said 'all the Blue Note stuff'. Don't be so quick to pounce! I try to be concise and precise.

Take away the African component of all Latin Jazz and what is left? Don't say Indian and spanish. Andean music? I am sure they have some form of folk music. if fact I used to see them play on the streets of Nurnberg, Germany for donations. The Germans found them exotic. The difference is, some music travels and conquers the world, and some never leaves the village.

We have no disagreement, you just did not think about it the correct way.

Cheers
If I misunderstood the tenor of your comment, my apology. But concise and
precise you were not. But, I think you are missing the point, and it appears
we do have a disagreement. The point is that you can't take the other
influences out of the equation any more than you can take the African
influence out, and your comments suggest that the African influence is
more important than the others; it is not.

****Take away the African component of all Latin Jazz and what is left?****

Ok, take away the Spanish, and Arab components and what is left?
Drumming? I hope we can agree that Latin music is much more than that.
This is all well documented in musicological circles; no mystery at all.

Regards.
Today's Playlist:

Laughin' to keep from Cryin'
Lester Young, Roy Eldridge, Harry 'sweets' Edison
No fireworks, just the best Jazz ballard playing possible.
Lester Young is one of the true Giants of the music. Even plays Clarinet on a few tracks. And how can Eldridge and Edison be on the same record? Amazing! Good sound. 1958 / 2000.

Stormy Monday
Lou Rawls and Les McCann
Good song selection and backup. A young Rawls. He will get better later, and make these songs his own!

Zodiac Suite
Mary Lou Williams - piano
Short pieces named after the signs of the zodiac. Some alternate takes. Sound not the best. Piano does not sound like it's in tune. Could be just the recording. Recorded in 1945. Smithsonian / Folkways. Did not make a great impression on me. The professional critics loved it.

Bernard Purdie's Soul to Jazz
with Eddie Harris, the Brecker Brothers and the WDR Big Band
The song lineup would lead one to assume this would be one of the best CDs ever. Includes everything from 'Senor Blues' to 'When a Man Loves a Woman'. All 13 tracks mega hits in their own right.
The problem is, the WDR big band is the, Westdeutscher Rundfunk big band. I know they can play, all the radio bands can, they just can't play Jazz. Should stick with Strauss. Prudie is a drummer and has some resume, played with Aretha and Miles. But the American talent is let down by the arrangements and the band. The producers are named Wolfgang and Siegfried, that should have been a red flag. Very nice album art and foldout. I have had this several years and never play it. Just reminded myself why.

Cheers
Actually Rok, the Youtube link of Alfredo Rodiguez that I posted above perfectly illustrates what I am talking about. The rhythmic structure is clearly rooted in "clave" (Africa), the form of the composition and the improvisation around it is clearly rooted in European (Spanish) tradition, and the harmonic flavor of the piece is derived primarily from the use of the harmonic minor scale (Arab). A perfect hybrid: Latin stuff.

Regards.