How important is a flat response?

I just bought the Rives cd to test in room response. My room had a lot of peaks in the low ranges. Am i severely limiting my experience? It it possible to have "good" sound with less than a flat response?
streetdaddy
Sean wrote:
As such, a neutral response assures us that our system is running like a computer i.e. "GIGO" ( Garbage In, Garbage Out ). If you have a good recording, you hear what is recorded. If you have a garbage recording, you hear what is recorded. Otherwise, you don't hear what is recorded, but what the system's colourations and distortions have added to the recording. On top of that, you'll hear this same colouration / distortion on every recording that you listen to. While you might like that specific sonic signature, i sincerely doubt that it would be "accurate" in terms of what one would hear at any given recording session or live performance. It might sound "pleasant" or "enjoyable", but accurate would be a long shot.

This is what I experienced using Paul Lam's LW-1 Passive Controller. It is the only way one can accurtely test equipment or to see what is happening when designing something.

My speakers are very good also. There sensitivity to what is happening up stream is very helpful when trying to design cables.

Just thinking!
A flat measured response is sometimes fools gold. The output of a loudspeaker in a static input of, say, 85db, or 90db, is one indicator. Yet, when the dynamic signal of real music is applied, there is no emperical proof that the 'dynamic' output will remain anywhere near that first measurement.
The only (fundamental) test is listening.
I have designed speakers which measure reasonably flat, insofar as the static input goes, with tragic results with dynamic input.
Now, you could argue that multiple input volumes starting at very soft, to very loud with sweeps; then overlay the results to compare. That could give some meaningful data, but its still not the 'real' test.
Speaker design is truly 'art and science' and transcends science, and goes into the artform arena. It takes a special person who can do both, then be objective with the results. That is why there are many loudspeakers that are 'technically' correct, yet leave us wanting musically.
So, "How important...."
Somewhat, however....
Best,
Lrsky's comments are valid, but somewhat limited in scope. What he and may others run into is called dynamic compression. That is, the output did not match the input except for a limited spl range. This type of phenomena can take place with the entire speaker system or individual drivers at specific frequencies. On top of that, room acoustics also change as frequency and amplitude are varied, so you have to take that into account. Nearfield measurements of the speaker at various spl ranges will somewhat negate the room response aspects, so that way one can judge what part of the equation the room and / or the speakers / individual drivers are playing in the big picture. Sean
>