Why even bother?

I have some general questions.
How any audiophile could be serious about having tuner in his of her system?
The FM signal is so compressed that sound is way far inferior to the sound from any records, CD and even tape.
Why some hi-end companies are still produce them?
I haven't seen any discussions regarding this matter.
What is your opinion?
Thanks.
misterl
Misterl, given that criteria - I agree with you. I don't understand the technical benefits of a state of the art tuner, but my money would go into other parts of the system or the room, and I would probably stick with my Kenwood receiver as a tuner (it has remote tuning, prresets, and decent reception). I think the other factor for me is when I have time to really listen, I want to listen to what I really want to listen to, not what someone is playing for me. I've been drawn in to radio programs before, but not when I was in "the chair" it was when I was listing to radio while doing something else.

. . . well that's my 2 cents anyway . . .
I just like hearing the different music, from different performers, as well as the DJ's, all as background music. It is something new and different from the cdp's you listen to, kind of like the reality shows you see on tv today. When I am listening to the radio I am not critically listening, but just wanting music I can towel my butt off to.

Not a pretty sight!

Regards,
Thank you all for your feedback.
My intensions were not to start controversial thread and I am definitely not against any kind of tuners.
It was interesting to hear different opinions on this subject, even though; some of them were not related to it all.
Lets just enjoy our hobbies to the fullest, because it all about little things that make as happy.
mister1, you say:

"...There is no way FM signal can camper to CD or record in the quality of sound. Even a strong FM signal contains distortions. This are just rules of Physics..."

i say: you are simply mistaken. i have a hi-end system. retail walue ~$50k (tho i paid far less, ~20% on the dollar, by being a prudent shopper, buying mainly used or close-out.) it's a true full-range system, & extremely revealing. the sound i get from a quality fm station *easily* rivals that of my digital & analog sources. EASILY. i spend a *lot* of my prime listening time listening to fm in the "sweet spot." don't knock what you don't know. sorry you haven't had the pleasure of experiencing it.

then you say:
"...Sum of hi-end tuners cost $2000-$6000. Why bother to pay for them and not to invest in to speakers, CD player or amplifier instead? This is my point..."

i say: yust like anything else, you can overpay for a product. i presently own six tuners that cost $200 or less, & i'd put *any* of 'em up against the magnum dynalab md-108, marantz 10b, day-sequerra reference, linn kremlin, naim nat-01, you name it. their sonics & reception capability are outstanding. my best-sounding tuna cost me $75, after i spent $300 on mods for it. i can only imagine how good the other six could sound if i spent money on mods for those. (i'm seriously considering mods for three of them. one cost me $26, one $175, the other $200.) if someone wants to spend big bucks on a fancy md108 or sequerra, then *let* 'em. in a good rig, w/a quality signal, they will get outstanding sound. even if they insist on using $350k amps that measure poorly... ;~)

regards,

doug s.
this has been a great discussion. Misterl, I don't think an apology is necessary . . . provocative statements are often the best way. I learned a lot from most of the posts.