Does a listening room help or hinder?

I once had my office and my system in the same room. I did my work and listened while I worked(sounds like a Disney song). I heard lots of music. Before I had the music in my office, I had it in the living room.

Well, I got the idea that I needed a listening room, so I moved my desk and computer and put it in another room. Now, I have a listening room. It isn't pretty, but it is as functional as I can get it. It has room treatments galore. Some aren't very pretty, but all of it functional. I have one chair in it, plus a little table next to the chair to hold any drink I may have.

Lately, I put on some music and sit down. Sooner or later I have this urge to get up and go do something on the computer. Then I sit back. Soon, I get up again to get something in the kitchen. Then I sit back down again. It goes like this through the entire time the music is on.

Now I listen to music less than I did before. In fact, the music is on now, but I am in a separate room.

Where did I make the mistake? How can I fix this delima?
matchstikman
Bob is right. If you want background music, use your laptop speakers. Save the listening room for serious listening. Time is an issue with me as well. I can't just sit there for hours listening as I have things that have to get done, so I can relate to listening to a song or two - then doing something and so on.

But just set time aside where you clear your mind and just consentrate and enjoy the music. If you have a laptop, you'll just get busy with that and the music may sound good, but you're not really listening.
The responses seem to be divided here, but lean more in the direction of the office/listening room. And I agree. The only problem is when you want to have others with you and the office is too small. Here's the solution. Put the system back in the living room, then move your desk and computer in there too. No one really "uses" a living room, so what th' hell!
bignerd is right on point,keep your rig intergrated with the rest of your home,ive had my rigs all over the house including a dedicated room,the most enjoyable to me has been to either keep a rig in my office or in the family room.

i know that some will say that a dedicated room is the only way to listen to your rig & serious listening can only be done in seclusion with no distractions but ive come to find out that for me its a sad way to enjoy the hobby.

what is critical listening anyway?

mike.
I have found that just in the last few weeks that I enjoy reading while in my sweet spot, my dad has always read LP liner notes and listens to a lot of Opera wich he has to read along to understand, I always thought this was odd because I like to listen to music at night, late with all the lights off, but now I can read anything from a stereo rag to Political books with ease and I still absorb great music (when I read I mostly like Classical) I also have enjoyed surfing with my step-daughters wireless laptop aswell, Liz and I are thinking if we every get a new puter it is gonna be a laptop! Maybe you can make the room useful enough to do some work while you listen, or do what I do and read....I learn and listen...great combo! Cheers
Bigjoe, to which hobby are you referring? Listening to your rig or listening to music? Or was that a Freudian slip?
Bob P.