Does a listening room help or hinder?

I once had my office and my system in the same room. I did my work and listened while I worked(sounds like a Disney song). I heard lots of music. Before I had the music in my office, I had it in the living room.

Well, I got the idea that I needed a listening room, so I moved my desk and computer and put it in another room. Now, I have a listening room. It isn't pretty, but it is as functional as I can get it. It has room treatments galore. Some aren't very pretty, but all of it functional. I have one chair in it, plus a little table next to the chair to hold any drink I may have.

Lately, I put on some music and sit down. Sooner or later I have this urge to get up and go do something on the computer. Then I sit back. Soon, I get up again to get something in the kitchen. Then I sit back down again. It goes like this through the entire time the music is on.

Now I listen to music less than I did before. In fact, the music is on now, but I am in a separate room.

Where did I make the mistake? How can I fix this delima?
matchstikman
I have found that just in the last few weeks that I enjoy reading while in my sweet spot, my dad has always read LP liner notes and listens to a lot of Opera wich he has to read along to understand, I always thought this was odd because I like to listen to music at night, late with all the lights off, but now I can read anything from a stereo rag to Political books with ease and I still absorb great music (when I read I mostly like Classical) I also have enjoyed surfing with my step-daughters wireless laptop aswell, Liz and I are thinking if we every get a new puter it is gonna be a laptop! Maybe you can make the room useful enough to do some work while you listen, or do what I do and read....I learn and listen...great combo! Cheers
Bigjoe, to which hobby are you referring? Listening to your rig or listening to music? Or was that a Freudian slip?
Bob P.
Bob P

i see where your going with this,correct me if im wrong but are'nt the two one in the same & dependant of each other?

if it were'nt for OUR rigs none of us would even be here at all,i always thought that agon was a site devoted to the buying,selling,trading & understanding of high end audio.

so to answer your question as to weather i meant "listening to my rig" or "listening to music" i meant listening to my rig.

i cant speak for others but for me half the enjoyment i derive from the hobby is from the gear itself & yes the hobby i speak of is the gear.

mike.
I can neither listen to music for comprehension while reading (unless it's a libretto), nor read anything weighty while trying to listen critically to music. I guess some of us can do it, probably somebody who can play the pipe organ. I'm afraid I'm all one or the other.
I have 3 systems: listening room, bedroom, living room. Solves the problems!!