Do Dealers think it is sinful..........

..... to give a customer a break on the price of high end audio equipment? is there something ethically wrong with this? why is it that i can negotiate down the price of a car or real estate many thousands of dollars, but i cant even get a discount on something the dealer (1) doesnt stock, (2) will not let you bring home for a day. i feel that when you are spending big $, like 8k + on a sale there should be some give and take. what do you think?
avnut
I just took a course in antitrust law. Like cornfedboy says, it's not illegal per se to use MSRP's.
Kendall43 What makes you believe that you are getting 25% off? Does the dealer show you his invoices, his mark up, and then give you 25% off? ...If so, is this guy a family member and what is his name? I’m sure we’d all like to get 25% off for nuthin!
Please consider that if you really are getting 25% off across the board you are probably seeing this discount off of a higher sticker price than the market standard(s). As stated previously in this thread 25% off on cables or tweaks isn't unrealistic, but 25% discounts across the board would seem very unusual if not unbelievable. There is at least one exception to this, and that's dealer demos. Dealers often get demo units at 25-35% below cost, but this usually only happens once a year, and is limited to one unit per model per product line. These products can definitely be discounted – even below what would normally be “cost” in some cases. Unfortunately there are some folks on this site who believe that once a product sells for a low-ball amount that THIS is the benchmark. Demo & or refurbished product also need to be considered when discounted prices are bandied about.
Awdeeofyle: look, jerk, I can read retail price sheets, just as you could if you tried, Well, maybe not. I routinely receive 25% discounts on highend speakers, electronics and acessories (sometimes more on the last). These are new, in-the box, never-opened products. They are not once-a-year demo units. Those are discounted more deeply. Sorry you live in the boondocks or are, perhaps, too reticent or stupid to ask whether discounts might be available. Fact is: YOU DON'T KNOW WHAT YOU'RE TALKIN' ABOUT.
Kendall43, sorry to shake your tree but I don't believe you either. I live in NYC where there are many, many Hi-end dealers and have yet to find one that discounts 25% across the board. Oh, and lose the attitude, we are all adults here and there is no need to call each other names. We can disagree more maturely than that.