Jazz for aficionados

Jazz for aficionados

I'm going to review records in my collection, and you'll be able to decide if they're worthy of your collection. These records are what I consider "must haves" for any jazz aficionado, and would be found in their collections. I wont review any record that's not on CD, nor will I review any record if the CD is markedly inferior. Fortunately, I only found 1 case where the CD was markedly inferior to the record.

Our first album is "Moanin" by Art Blakey and The Jazz Messengers. We have Lee Morgan , trumpet; Benney Golson, tenor sax; Bobby Timmons, piano; Jymie merrit, bass; Art Blakey, drums.

The title tune "Moanin" is by Bobby Timmons, it conveys the emotion of the title like no other tune I've ever heard, even better than any words could ever convey. This music pictures a person whose down to his last nickel, and all he can do is "moan".

"Along Came Betty" is a tune by Benny Golson, it reminds me of a Betty I once knew. She was gorgeous with a jazzy personality, and she moved smooth and easy, just like this tune. Somebody find me a time machine! Maybe you knew a Betty.

While the rest of the music is just fine, those are my favorite tunes. Why don't you share your, "must have" jazz albums with us.

Enjoy the music.
orpheus10
****Keep the faith****

Ah, but I wish we could all agree that many of the world's problems are rooted in the fact that many of the faithful feel that their faith is THE ONLY ONE.

Cheers to you too.

When this "West Coast" jazz was current, I thought it was slow and "lame", now,some of it sounds quite "hip", possibly because I can appreciate "cerebral" music more. This much West Coast certainly wasn't available at my "mid west" record store when it was new, and what was available disappeared. I believe that's what's going to happen all over again. I suggest everyone thoroughly browse these CD's. Here's Gerry Mulligan doing "I Want To Live".

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4_Ne0Ig9lDU

Enjoy the music.
Frogman:

If you don't feel that your 'faith' is the only correct one, then you don't have much 'faith. Sounds awful in this political correct world, but it's the truth.

Cheers
Today's Reviews (stop all that groaning!)

Art Pepper -- Art Pepper + Eleven (SACD)

I put this in the player and got my note pad to make notes. After the third track I gave up. What Can One Say? (amadeus)

This is 10 stars!! No Filler. No wasted notes. All tracks are great, even the alternate takes.
This group is very, very tight. Very well rehearsed. Great arrangements. I love playing like this. Up-tempo and very together. All solos were short and to the point. No blowing just to be blowing. I can't say which were best, the reeds or the brass. They were both playing out of their heads. And although they did not solo, gotta give the bass player and the drummer a lot of love also

I don't know what coast these guys are from, but on this date, they played Jazz!! Nuff said.

I have 'pepper meets the rhythm section' and this one. I must research his output and get more.

You will not hear this in a coffee shop. :)

As usual I will leave the technical analysis to Frogman.

Cheers
Elian Elias -- Solos and Duets w/ Herbie Hancock

11 tracks of which six are duets with Hancock. Great playing all around, but I think they pushed each other a little on the duets. I liked them best.

This is an all piano disc but more in the style of Jarrett. You won't be stupefied! A good disc to show off those 'uber alles' stereo systems.

Not casual music. Most of the track titles are familiar, but you have to pay attention.

When they play together you have to ask yourself, how do they do that? Not a misstep and all improvised. This is the type disc that shows just how much talent it takes to be a musician.

BTW, my sub low fi Polks reproduced the pianos just fine!

Cheers