Can you help or do I have to get divorced?

Size and Placement does matter do to a misunderstood wife. I can't have speakers on stands, I can't have floorstanding speakers, and in-wall speakers are too permanent. What in the hell am I suppost to do? My room is 17' X 14' and I'm looking for speakers that will be used for music listening and eventually home theater listening. (when I can afford to complete the system). I want to find a good pair of speakers and amp that I can eventually build a good home theater system with. I need to stay below $1,000 for speakers. Any advice?
tommyt
I would second the Gallo micros. A perfect solution really and it is within your budget. Sound is suprisingly good.
Get some big MAGGIES and really piss her off. Get the Tympani IV and tell her it's a room divider!!! OH did you say you wanted to avoid DDDDddddd. Oh forget it I'm to late anyway
Darn, I didn't notice the original post was from '02. My sympathies and best wishes to john1in2@san.rr.com .
for WAF try the NHT satelite system driven by a pathos integrated and shandling cd player. If she does not like that she is hopeless.
As in many things, it's all in the presentation. You need to resort to the old bait and switch, my boy! Show her photos (and price tag) for a set of Avant Garde Trios. Then, with that "threat" still hanging in the air, propose a pair of ... oh, say, ProAc 1's. (Or insert your favorite monitor with high quality wood finish detail here.) They'll seem downright reasonable by comparison. Heck, she'll probably fall all over herself helping you buy them. Yeah, yeah, that's the ticket ...

LEGAL CAUTION: The above advice is offered for entertainment value only and should not be relied upon. Should your significant other not react as predicteed and instead brain you with one of your fairway woods, it's not my fault. Really. Some restrictions apply. Past returns are not guarantees of future results. Your mileage may vary.

Happy Listening.