'great' bookshelf speakers for under 500?

Is it possible to find a decent pair of speakers for under 500? I heard a pair of Totem Dreamcatchers that sounded quite nice for $430. Admittedly, I know very little... which is why I am starting small.
otraincb67
I know it's a cliche, but the Epos ELS-3s really are one of those 'Why pay more?' breakthroughs. Delightful.
Shop for a primo condition pair that have the original parts. Watch out for parts mismatches and poor surround refoaming, etc. These speakers will deliver great bass, very good midrange, decent highs, very accurate sound, and will play almost any type of music well from classical to jazz to rock and roll with instrumentals, voice, you name it. If you outgrow them you will be able to sell them for within 10% of what you paid except for the shipping. Try Agon and eBay. One caveat: although they are considered bookshelf speakers, they want to be on small stands a half foot to a foot off the floor. While you are at it, find a vintage Marantz (2275, etc.) receiver in good shape. You might get both the speakers and the receiver for just your speaker budget.
my circumstances are a bit off the beaten path.. but an example of what can be done with older loudspeakers & a loudspeaker manufavturer that is consumer friendly... I got a pair of 6.5 Phase Techs from a friend for very little money... shortly afterwards one of the surrounds blew... I contacted PT in Jacksonville, Fl. and asked about them fixing the problem... they did. Actually, I had them completely redo both of the speakers... both drivers and both crossovers. For $250 incld. shipping, I've now got what is in my estimation a pair of loudspeakers that far surpass most of the units I've heard upwards of about a grand. If the maker is still alive, and the parts are still available, speakers can be had for a song... and I mean real good speakers too. With two ways, or monitors, the compettition is fierce. I'd not pass by a set, were I incleind to get some, just because they had an issue regarding driver or network... just a thought.