Would you buy speakers with out first listening ?

I've never owned a pair of speakers that I have not listened to before hand...do you guys trust and buy on opinion? If so, have you experienced any great "let down".

Dave
sogood51
I've had excellent success (GMA Europa, Rega Ela 2000) buying used speakers without listening to them. I did my research first, and considered the purchase to be an in-home demo, confident I could resell them if disappointed. It's unlikely I would buy NEW speakers without a money-back satisfaction guarantee.
Not a chance in hell. Based on getting psyched up about some hyped up speakers that I thought would be the holy grail. Went to listen, and was blown away--but in a bad way. Any chance that I'd ever buy speakers without first listening disappeared forever on that day.
Yes, my current speakers were bought without prior listening. But for $150 for Altec 604-8G's in 620 factory cabs, I couldn't pay for them and get them loaded fast enough. Church yardsale. Although if I was going to spend serious money on speakers, I would definately listen before buying.
"Yes, my current speakers were bought without prior listening. But for $150 for Altec 604-8G's in 620 factory cabs, I couldn't pay for them and get them loaded fast enough. Church yardsale. Although if I was going to spend serious money on speakers, I would definately listen before buying."
-Wwwrecords
Well, OK, but that's different. You knew you were getting a killer-gonzo bargain! You're the same sly dude who snagged a Marantz CD changer for 20 bucks--A MARANTZ CD PLAYER--and a CHANGER, no less--FOR 20 BUCKS (I think that's what you said)!! When it comes to audiophile bargain purchases, you ROCK! :))))))
Six of the last seven speakers ... purchased w/o auditioning ... loved every one of them; the only speaker I auditioned ... Martin-Logans ... loved them thoroughly; the speaker I plan to keep ... despite not having auditioned them first ... the most enjoyable speakers I've ever owned ... Cains