Jazz for aficionados

Jazz for aficionados

I'm going to review records in my collection, and you'll be able to decide if they're worthy of your collection. These records are what I consider "must haves" for any jazz aficionado, and would be found in their collections. I wont review any record that's not on CD, nor will I review any record if the CD is markedly inferior. Fortunately, I only found 1 case where the CD was markedly inferior to the record.

Our first album is "Moanin" by Art Blakey and The Jazz Messengers. We have Lee Morgan , trumpet; Benney Golson, tenor sax; Bobby Timmons, piano; Jymie merrit, bass; Art Blakey, drums.

The title tune "Moanin" is by Bobby Timmons, it conveys the emotion of the title like no other tune I've ever heard, even better than any words could ever convey. This music pictures a person whose down to his last nickel, and all he can do is "moan".

"Along Came Betty" is a tune by Benny Golson, it reminds me of a Betty I once knew. She was gorgeous with a jazzy personality, and she moved smooth and easy, just like this tune. Somebody find me a time machine! Maybe you knew a Betty.

While the rest of the music is just fine, those are my favorite tunes. Why don't you share your, "must have" jazz albums with us.

Enjoy the music.
orpheus10
A few comments on some recent posts....Clarinet-Kenny Davern,fill in the blanks of superlatives because they all apply,plus a determination to excell beyond his usual musical orbit and create in each solo,not only a history of Jazz, but to convey it in the most personal way.
Frank Vignola...Fine player,but listen to Howard Alden.
Eric Alexander...behemoth player,like the "Thanksgiving" of all the living big toned Tenor Saxophonists,he always seems to fill you up and satisfy you musically and emotionally.His latest effort,among many,"Touching" on Highnote tends to magnify his "sound" over content and some of the tunes are of a more recent vintage that don't capture my interest.I have to give him props for trying to extend the circle of compositions for improvisations.I am anxious to hear him over the next few years.
Dave Liebman and the re-formed "Quest" (with Richie Beirach,Ron McLure and Billy Hart) are back at it on "circular" on Enja.This is a program of 60's compositions associated with Miles Davis.This is a delightful session of mature players,comfortable together and pushing forwards in a sideways move,nothing earthshaking,yet forging a collective quilt of music that draws you in.Billy Hart is a gifted drummer who can see beyond the music while creating the pulse of it.
David Liebman....prolific and sublime,as a listener he instills an air of confidence that he is giving his ultimate expression,this is a direct influence of John Coltrane who re-newed high standards in a post Charlie Parker Jazz world.
Some interesting younger players to watch Jonas Kullhammer and Jon Irabegon (sp on both? sorry)
The curse and gift of Jazz is that it can be the greatest thing and it can be the most mundane thing,both survive, and can only be limited by the intelligence of the listener.I have ALWAYS found that the best music has the least audience and musicians that "promote" themselves usually do so because they don't have the dedication to put it into their instrument.The least talented always have the most time to hype themselves.
I'm not here to argue but I am adding commentary. A lot of these comparisons are ambiguous as most comparisons are prone to be. I have always believed it to be most constructive to talk about music in terms of things like harmony, counterpoint, arranging, composition, orchestration, tempo. I realize that this is too much to expect on a forum however these categorical labels are just trash pale terminologies. For example, I could listen to a Paul Bley record and explain in musical and aesthetic terms, his approach to composition and his effortless command over the piano but if I were to rely on terms like 'cutting edge' or 'retro' or whatever else, then that is where things begin to get murky. The only categorical term that I could come up with for honestly describing Paul Bley's music currently might be 'real time composition' but this wouldn't be true all of the time and it wouldn't help since most people lack knowledge about what 'real time composition' is. The point being that much of this forum looks like an insular argument because of its ambiguity.
My (unsolicited) advice to all is this: Don't get to analytical. The important thing is, do you like it, or don't like it. Tell us which and why. Comment on the sound quality. Maybe we will discover new music, which is what this forum is about.

Speaking of new music:
Today I was going to add about 50 cds to my hard drive and put them in the proper rack. I thought I would need a little background music while I did this, so I put Aster Aweke, in the player. 30 seconds into the first track, I had to stop and listen. Those Cds are still waiting to be cataloged.

Aster Aweke -- Kabu

I have had this Cd for around 20 years. When I bought it I listened to a track or two and then put it in the 'try again later' shelf.

WOW! What a difference 20 years makes in a person's musical taste and maturity. This is why I never throw away CDs I don't like initially. Great voice, great songs and Outstanding recording. Translation of the vocals in the CD liner.

You ain't got it? Git It!!

In a similar vein:

Zap Mama -- Adventures In Afropea 1

This is a fun disc. Five women of African and European decent. Just the human voice. No Clutter!:) These women are having fun and it comes thru. Some of the tunes have a 'Sweet Honey In The Rock' flavor. Great Stuff!
Ain't got it? Git it, right after you git AWEKE!

O-10:
I hereby pronounce the Three Sounds 'Eight Classic Albums', outstanding music, outstanding recordindgs and an outstanding bargain!! Nat Adderly and Stanley Turrentine appear. Gene Harris is in fine form.

Cheers
I am very much looking forward to goofyfoot's monograph on Paul Bley.I would love for all of us to see a biographical and historical perspective.Musical analysis of his sytlistic evolution and of course what led to his "effortless command over the piano".Recommended recordings would be a plus.
The last time i heard effortless command over the piano was Roger Williams playing "Born Free".