6 Moons Reviews Zu Cable Definition Speaker

Srajan Ebaen gave the Zu Cable Definition speakers the Blue Moon Award.

For more details on this glowing review follow this link:

http://www.6moons.com/audioreviews/zu2/definition.html

He liked the Definition so much he traded in his Druid/Method combo.

Personally, I think Zu is really on to something with their designs and I have put them at the top of my review list. FYI - I have no financial interest in Zu at all... just curious.
128x128dawgbyte
In my interactions with Srajan (extending back to conversations before he became a reviewer), he has consistently impressed me as having very high ethics. I don't think he's the kind of person whose passion can be bought. I think he's genuine, and he and his organization are a great asset to high-end audio.

Frankly I'm interested in checking out the Zu speakers. I'm skeptical of some of the claimed performance of the Druids, as the combination of -3 dB point/efficiency/box size doesn't add up. But then I'm used to reflex enclosure modelling; perhaps the hybrid backloaded horn-ish enclosure of the Druid succeeds while somehow avoiding the cancellation notch(es) that typically plague backloaded horns.

As for the Definition, I don't see how in the world the sealed upper range enclosure can be crossed over at only 40 Hz; I'd have expected the crossover point to be at least an octave higher. I admire the innovation evident in the powered bass section; while I have yet to hear a speaker with a powered bass section that I thought really blended well with the unpowered drivers, Zu's approach may well avoid dynamic discrepancies and so just might pull it off.

Of course these comments are all before hearing the speakers, and I'm not engineer enough to be able to really figure out and evaluate what Zu's doing.

And getting back to Srajan, I am convinced his passion is genuine. I may or may not end up sharing his enthusiasm for the Zu's, but I do believe he's calling it like he hears it.

Duke
getting back to Srajan, I am convinced his passion is genuine. I may or may not end up sharing his enthusiasm for the Zu's, but I do believe he's calling it like he hears it.

I agree wholeheartedly. I also don't think he can be bought, but having the benefit of accomodation pricing and free shipping to one's doorstep makes it a whole lot easier to be enthusiatic and churn equipment.
I think the primary motivation for selling the Avantgardes is related to his "realsization" quest, told in about 3 parts on the website. Essentially, how much money can be saved without losing the life of the high end. Relating to the budgetary constraints of real people is a premium. So, he's replaced his Audiopax preamp (with the same Modwright I own), Audiopax mono amps, and Avantgardes to see how cheap he can go to effectively replicate the musicality of much more expensive stuff.

I think it's noble and pragmatic goal. He said in the Druid/Method review that the tandem left nothing meaningful on the table vs. the Avantgardes. Then, he traded that combo for the Definitions. Whether he paid a dime for it is immaterial. Even if he was getting the Def's for free, he still chose them over the Druid/Method.

And, if this guy is a shameless panderer, I'm quitting reading reviews forever. He seems very geniune. And, his reviews on the Druids (which I own) are dead-target on. In fact, his reviews of the Modwright, Clari-T amp, and Druids, all of which are currently in my system, have been extremely accurate. Thus, I trust him and will be buying
Definitions as soon as finances allow.
Then, he traded that combo for the Definitions. Whether he paid a dime for it is immaterial. Even if he was getting the Def's for free, he still chose them over the Druid/Method.

Mike, I think I understand what you're saying...Srajan preferred the sound of the Definitions, and that's the bottom line. However, whether "he paid a dime" for them is absolutely material. Wouldn't paying nothing for the upgrade make it easier for you to make the jump to the Definitions? Of course it would. This would be material to your decision, regardless of whether you peferred the sound of the more expensive speaker. Before someone jumps on me for suggesting Srajan didn't pay anything for the upgrade to the Definitions, let me emphasize that my comment was an exaggeration to make a point.

I also agree with everything you stated about Srajan attempting to downsize his rig to a more affordable pricing model. No question there. I just think folks need to be aware that he changes his mind (look at how many people were prompted to buy the Druids based on his review), and it's easier, and less expensive, for him to swap components than it is for the common audiophile.

Imagine a scenario in which you buy the Definition after finally saving enough dough, only to read in the next issue of 6Moons that Srajan has found a new favorite loudspeaker? It could happen, yes? So, the cautionary tale is simply to do your due diligence before blindly following.

I'm sure you have, Mike, but others might not.
Is it fair to say that I detect a note of cynism and skepticism out there in audioland? Sounds like a lot of hair splitting and over analysis to me. Perhaps one should listen to the speakers and judge for oneself.

All things being equal, here are the facts:

1. Srajan has the opportunity to listen to a wide array of speaker products at various price points across the audio spectrum.

2. Srajan has some knowledge of acoutistical/electric engineering. To what degree I don't know.

3. Reviews by customers of both GMA and Zu speakers on the web have been very positive and enthusiastic.

4. Srajan has reviewed both GMA and Zu speakers.

5. Srajan owned a pair of $20K (retail) Avantegarde Duo's as his reference speakers. He also owned a model by Triangle.

6. He now owns Zu Cable Definitions.

7. 1+1 = 2

You do the math, connect the dots and figure it out for yourself.