Wilson Sophia

I have been looking at stepping up from my B&W 704s and heard the 802Ds, the Naut 802s and the Wilson Sophias. I was all set to spend the 4500 on a pair of used 802s but then I heard the Wilsons. All I can say is that the Wilsons absolutely spoke to me. My problem is that this is a huge investment for me and I think that I must be crazy to even be thinking about this purchase. Even more so, because I live in an apartment building and cannot "crank up" my system to massive volume levels.

My question is-am I going to be able to truly appreciate these speakers with my McIntosh MA 6500 integrated and my Lector CD player? There is not going to be any money in my budget to even consider other changes for a long time. Wilson's were set up with mid level Naim gear.

Are there any risks with buying the units off the floor if I can get a deal?

As always thanks for your input.

John
jhorton19
I would recommend considering the Green Mountain Audio Continuum 3. I have been in this "hobby" for 20+ years. I have never owned any Wilson speakers, but have heard them on several occassions. I think the Sofia's are quite good. The Continuum 3 are quite special. Wide bandwidth, good dynamics and a very direct window to the music. They do have a unique appearance that may or may not work for you. There is a review on 6moons.
congrats on the wilsons. you made a good move.

think of building a system the way you would if you were to build a kit car. its cheaper to buy all in one (ie circcuit city), but you wouldn't buy every part from the local auto zone. you'd wait until the machinist of your choice could build you the part (w/ commensurate performance / features) you want for YOUR car.

save your cash and wait until something shows up for sale that you know will work, and jump on it. give it a couple years and you'll have world class sound w/o diving into debt for a hobby. you sound like i did 5 yrs ago. i wish i'd have been as smart to step up & get the speakers i wanted first. but i eventually got it right

i'd put the amp next, cd 3rd, and cables / power last. but get an amp that sounds right w/ your wilsons, and everything else is incremental.

lots o luck
rhyno
Hi Dgad:

I listened to a bunch of different speakers...Main listening focused on the Wilsons and these others
Von Schweikert 4 Jrs and Srs.
Gallo
Dali Helicon
B&W 803 D
B&W 802 Nautilus
B&W 802 D
Maggies
Quads
Sonus Faber
Thiel

To me, none of these speakers were close to the Sophias

John
You hear that?

John's new Sophia's came and he's jammin' =)

I bet that system sounds great!

Good move. I like to see people go for it.
Is it working out with the neighbors?

Maybe time to trade the MA6500 for the MA2275.....