Von Schweikert DB99 or Vandersteen 5A ??

Dealers in my area don't carry these models.

I'm sure they're both excellent, but how about some feedback from folks that heard both or owners of either ?
128x128rx8man
Hi Delancey- As an owner of the 5As, I would argue that if the integration of the subwoofer/ main amplifier did not create a seamless blend, the dealer did not have them set up properly. The amplifier input impedance needs to be set correctly on the external high pass filters for the correct -3dB rolloff at 100Hz for a truly seamless transition. Also, the signature of the main amplifiers is absolutely passed on to the sub amp on the 5A. I used three different amplifiers on the 5A- Rowland 201s, McCormack DNA-500, and best of all- the VAC Phi 220 monos. All three amps had different characteristics in their bass.

I'm not sure why moving the speakers around to get flat bass is the best choice either. What if the best spot for flat bass response creates terrible soundstaging or imaging? The 5As allow for optimal room placement with respect to imaging and soundstage among other things. This is done with the subwoofers unplugged. When the best location is found in the room, the sub can then be adjusted to help reduce any problematic bass peaks caused by any room modes due to that specific location. The 11 band eq is very helpful in that regard. Final adjustments on the sub level and Q allow for truly spectacular bass when set correctly.

The rear tweeter of the 5A is normally not activated unless the room is overly dead or extremely large. It is out of phase with the rest of the speaker and goes against Vandy's design philosphy of maintaining time and phase coherence.

I'm sure the DB99 is truly a special speaker and one I would love to hear. I really like Von Scweikert designs and have been duly impressed with the VR4jrs, the VR4srs, and the VR9SE. Another VS speaker I really want to hear in the VR7SE.

It sounds like you are extremely happy with the DB99s which is all that counts- happy listening.
The 5As were run at HE 2005 in a very large room with Pathos InPower 80 watt Class A hybrid monoblocks and the sound was plenty loud. Vandy also paired with the Tenor 75w OTLs at a past CES show with great sound. Another great match are the Quicksilver V4s which are 120 w/ch.
So yes, they are relatively inefficient at 87 dB, but I think you can get great sound with 100 tube watts.
Sorry Delancey- you never said you heard the 5As at a dealer. That's what happens when you make posts at 2:30am!
Fsarc,
The 5A's I heard were at a dealer who sold Vandy and BAT. It was not my system so I cannot comment on the filter setting etc. However, I will say that this dealer is a meticulous audiophile. I agree the best scenario is to maintain amp signature and have placement independence. However, if you have to choose one the the former is much better to have than the latter. I'm having the same experience with the rear tweeter on my DB99's. I hardly ever use it. As for 2:30am posts, we are all crazy about the hobby. Best....
I got a 2 hour listen to the *VR-4 SR's* a couple days ago (at the dealer who didn't carry the DB-99's) nice sound, smooth, balanced, good imaging, etc.

I know they're a different design, but could the DB-99's be considered a somewhat higher league than the VR-4 SR's. ?