Move to NYC Apt -- Vandersteen 3A Speaker Woes

Making a career move which will involve moving from a house in Pennsylvania to an apartment in New York City. Don't know how large the apartment will be yet but, from what I've heard, most aren't very big -- even at fairly high rents.

My issue ... I'm currently running a pair of Vandersteen 3A Sigs plus two Vandersteen 2Wq subs, and I love them. Can't help but think this is going to be a problem in an apartment. Thoughts ? My neighbors are going to hate me, aren't they ?
bothrops1b81
if your apt dont work out with the rig you can get a house over in jersey alot cheaper than a shoe box in manhattan & be a short drive from the city but i also agree not to jump the gun & dump any gear till you know exactly what your up against.

mike
I live in NYC in a corner apartment. It was built in the late fifties solid concrete construction. So crankin the tunes has never been a problem. The outside noise can also distract people from your system. If you like your speakers try to bring them.
I live in a NYC midtown apt and have Vandy 3A Signatures there but without the subs. I did have problems with an elderly woman living next door, but she moved. I do live in a reinforced concrete building and what I have found is that it prevents you from hearing the bass but allows your neighbor to hear unbelievable levels of it, so I am not sure that it is an advantage. She invited me in her apartment once while my system was playing at quite moderate levels. The level of bass frequencies that she was receiving was incredible and it was hard for me to ignore or minimize, even though it was in my best interest to do so.

Otherwise and since, there have been no complaints and I do listen to music at volumes pleasing to me, which I would consider to be loud-but-not-deafening levels. As far as space is concerned, you may have trouble with placement in your room depending on the size and shape and whatever other furniture you have to get in there.

For your reference, a good-sized living room in Manhattan would be 22' x 12'. There are plenty much smaller and even plenty much larger. It all depends on what you luck upon and of course, what you can pay.
I agree with all the prior, NYC is a great place... I grew up there, well actually in northern Jersey, but spent most of my free time there. I also agree I wouldn't sell anything until you are there. I would warn you about the subs though,

I met my neighbor the day I bought my sub in my concrete condo a few years ago.... He wasn't too happy to meet me that day.
My advice- being a manhattan apartment dweller is to leave the vandy's in storage ot at a friends house. Leave most of your furnature as well, or sell it.

You will be so much happier living with just a few pieces of well placed and right sized furniture.

There are so many small towers or mini monitors with subs that sound great. Dont overload your space. Things will image better with breathing room. Every thing I buy I must decide if I really have room for or if I can get rid of something else.

Enjoy this great city though (except for the rents that is- which are for the most part (for new tenants)are simply insane)