Jazz for aficionados

Jazz for aficionados

I'm going to review records in my collection, and you'll be able to decide if they're worthy of your collection. These records are what I consider "must haves" for any jazz aficionado, and would be found in their collections. I wont review any record that's not on CD, nor will I review any record if the CD is markedly inferior. Fortunately, I only found 1 case where the CD was markedly inferior to the record.

Our first album is "Moanin" by Art Blakey and The Jazz Messengers. We have Lee Morgan , trumpet; Benney Golson, tenor sax; Bobby Timmons, piano; Jymie merrit, bass; Art Blakey, drums.

The title tune "Moanin" is by Bobby Timmons, it conveys the emotion of the title like no other tune I've ever heard, even better than any words could ever convey. This music pictures a person whose down to his last nickel, and all he can do is "moan".

"Along Came Betty" is a tune by Benny Golson, it reminds me of a Betty I once knew. She was gorgeous with a jazzy personality, and she moved smooth and easy, just like this tune. Somebody find me a time machine! Maybe you knew a Betty.

While the rest of the music is just fine, those are my favorite tunes. Why don't you share your, "must have" jazz albums with us.

Enjoy the music.
orpheus10

"Party With Punte" is my play of the day. Tito has never failed to put the heat on. His name symbolizes hot Latin jazz. No one but the "Dizzy G man" can do it better, and that's the highest praise I can give when it comes to combining jazz with a Latin beat.

Tito puts his personal stamp on two well known jazz classics: "Killer Joe",and "Take Five". The rest of the CD is Tito gone wild; it makes me want to get up and do some fast fancy steps, (I couldn't do fast fancy steps back in the day) that's the way this music affects you.

These are some of the hottest rhythms I've ever heard coming from "El Ray", The Mambo King, and I believe you will agree.

Enjoy the music.

Rok, you get what you pay for. I've been flipping back and forth between "Moods" by the three sounds on LP and and CD. I'm not into that CD, LP thing. I'll take a good CD over an LP, it just so happened LP was the only way this was available. The LP projects the emotional impact of the music, this is most noticeable on the piano; it's missing on the CD; however, at this price I'm not complaining.

Enjoy the music.

Rok, I really appreciate your playlist, it helps me to decide on new CD's.

In regard to those bargains, I suggest you use that music for deciding which CD's to buy. In the case of the 3 sounds, the piano is flat, and the piano is everything in their music. I suggest you chalk that cost off, and buy the original CD if you like the music. In the case of "Moods", I paid $35 for a used LP, and now I see a used CD for $106.96, that lets you know how good the music is on that album.

Enjoy the music.
O-10:

I found your comments on the Three Sounds to be very interesting.
The first time I played the 8 Classic set I compared it to my only copy of them on Blue Note. I put one of the classic cds in one player and the blue note in another player. Both were playing thru the same amp.

I just toggled between them and decided that the piano on the Classic cd sounded flat, just as you said. I went back and forth until I was sure. Yep, flat.

Then I went to the kitchen for coffee and talked a while with the wife, then came back into the listening room. The two players where still playing. The lights on the amp were defeated, as they always are. I had forgotten which CD player was selected. I sat there looking at two cd players, both on, with the counters counting, but I had no idea which one I was listening to. I had stumbled into a blind test!

So I concentrated as hard as I could. grrr, grrrr, grrr, and decided that the piano was flat, so it must be the classic cd. Wrong! It was the Blue Note Playing thru the SA8001.

What does this prove? Nothing. Just food for thought. I then wrote my 'review'. I stand by it with the following understanding:

My review is for the The Three Sounds only. I would not buy any of the heavyweights, Miles, Coltrane or Rollins etc... But for groups that are not that important to you and ones that you would not normally buy, the classic sets are a good buy. After all, I only had one Cd by the Three Sounds. Much more on LP. As several reviewers have said, their music has a sameness about it. Nice lounge music. I do have a lot of Gene Harris.

Thanks for your comments.

Cheers

I think my brain knew I was listening for FLAT, so it provided FLAT. That happens a lot of this site. I just admit it. When I knew which Cd was playing it was easy. When I didn't know, things got a lot harder.

Rok, I repeated the test. This time I gave the bargain CD all the advantages. The CD was in my listening room and the LP was in the basement. After synchronizing the two, I listened in the basement for awhile before going back to the listening room. This time the results were even worse; it sounded like the bass tone controls (which I don't have) were turned up on the bass, and it was "boomy".

There is a possibility my love, affection and familiarity with this music could give me the ability to detect a deviation that others wouldn't sense.

Enjoy the music.