Are you open minded about loudspeaker designs?

Or do you tend to pick the same type of loudspeaker design when you upgrade?
128x128johnk
Considering I went from Thiels to Duntechs (both first order crossover designs and sealed boxes) to my current speakers, which are as different from those designs and unconventional as they come (four-piece, fourth order crossover to woofers, ported woofer enclosure, upward firing midrange, front and rear tweeters), I guess I'm not wedded to a particular design philosophy. I try go with speakers that make the music come alive full range; I don't care what the designer did to get me to that destination.
Thxs for the posts I like to try out whatever I can. I do tend to go with Hieff designs but today they can be most any design.For years I mostly purchased electrostatic ribbon or planars but today I DIY.
Well, Plato, I'm not averse to a ribbon tweeter (the Analysis Plus speakers I heard at a recent meeting were very interesting), but as you know I do need my dynamics and deep bass response!!
Rc, we all have our special needs, but I think I may get you to lean to the dark side yet. Hey, have you heard about that new woofer that looks like a heavy-duty table fan from Eminent Technology -- this may be the ticket to the best bass yet!!! I bet you could pressurize your whole house with one or two of those babies.

Johnk, I've tried speakers of all types, but lately I've been coming back to hybrid speakers that have ribbon midrange/tweeter sections and dynamic woofers. I just love the speed, detail, and airy quality of a well-designed ribbon. I like transparent, rock-solid bass too, but it doesn't have to challenge my foundation to be satisfying. Then again, if I could afford to repair my foundation and listening room from structural damage, I just might go in for some decent quality room-quaking subs. :)