certin speaker makers harder to get dissounts fro

I have gotten a lot of good info here in the past few days, my new question is . The Martin logan dealers i have talked with said they never discount, but they are on sale( the vantage) for $60 off per speaker. Is this true for others who have bought ML speakers you could not get a price break even when spending a far amout of money. If it seems like i harp on money plese for give me im am but a Parmedic and it has taken me some time to put together 11000 dollars. Looking at some of the systems here that may be your cable budget. I dont wish you ill if if can afford this type of gear, I just wish I could also. Maybe one day, and it is fun to dream
cj1capp
Cj1capp,

I carry roughly a dozen high-end electronics and loudspeaker lines. On paper the average mark-up is right at 40 points, but in practice it's less because in most cases I have to pay for shipping. I have one line that's at 50 points if I pay in time, and two that are in the low 30's. My cable lines have a higher markup on average, but I don't have any that are over 50 points. The trend I have seen is lower markup (as low as 25 points in some cases) in the higher end gear, with higher markup (up to 80 points) in midfi gear.

I haven't had to deal with the overhead of running a brick-and-mortar store, as mine burned down before it ever opened. My experience has been as an in-home showroom. Now some of my manufacturers have strict rules about discounting, and if I want to keep those product lines I have to abide by their wishes. I'm not a Martin Logan dealer, but that might be your dealer's situation.

You might try this: Ask your dealer if, instead of offering you a discount (which I would say is customary for large or system purchases), would he consider giving you a generous trade-in allowance on some used gear? He may be prohibited by his manufacturer's rules from discounting, but he is not prohibited from offering you more than bluebook value on a trade-in.

Best of luck to you,

Duke
KrellDog, I think you need to re-read my post. I said I buy used because I'm not a rich man, but I don't waste a sales person's time. I have bought new before, NAD CD and Amp and gotten a little off, I know there is room to move but I didn't bust his chops about it.

The difference in my opinion is that I'm realistic in my approach. I'd never dream of wasting somebody's time or taking alot of it only to badger him on price. If price is my main concern I'd do online research and buy used or online. Which I have done lately...that's the difference. So please try and actually read what I'm typing before you go on some ignorant post yammering on like I'm the anti-christ.
A large part of being a succesful retailer is to get people in your store(physically) Regardless of whether you buy something or not it gives the retailer the oppurtunity to win your buisness. That buisness may be today/next week/or next year. If your in their store during buisness hours it doesn't cost them anything to provide you with information and equipment demonstrations. This is their oppurtunity to win you over as a customer. I've kicked many of tires in my day,and I've also spent thousands of dollars in audio shops. My money will always be spent with the store that bends over backwards whether their making a sale or not. Buying audio for me is a process. I'm going to take my time and road test the gear/and drain the salesperson for every drop of information I can get. If the store/salesperson isn't willing to do this-and provide me with a realistic discount(10-20%)off,I'll go somewhere else. You put your foot in your mouth by preaching to us about supporting our local dealers-and not beating them down for a discount. Yet you don't support your local dealers because you only buy used gear. You buy used gear because you can get more gear for your money-and thats all any of us are trying to do regardless of whether we buy used or new. My whole point is that your in no place to scold people looking for the best deal they can get. Ultimately the dealer can just say no. It still beats a store full of gear and no customers.
I don't know how many times I have to type the same thing Krelldog...I never said I ONLY buy used. I said I have bought used. I mentioned I bought a NAD CD and amp at a local dealer...I've also bought accessories from them as well...I just don't waste their time with outlandish discounts

I never said there's anything WRONG wtih asking for a reasonable discount...I said the 30% and over get's a little out of hand, these are high end dealers not Best Buy's moving clearance...their business is service first, not discounts. And in regards of getting people in the gate, yes its important, but In the world of hi-end anything, its more important in keeping them. This is done through service rather then pricing. Much like a car salesman working for BMW or a person selling Rolex watches.
Cj1capp:

Caveat emptor! After all, the dealer doesn't have to listen to you daily for 10 years, but you have live with your system. Nobody has the stake that you do in investing your hard-earned money.

I have recently bought a system and have learned a big lesson: if you buy new from a dealer, MAKE SURE IT IS THE RIGHT THING FOR YOU! Things don't sound the same when you get them home. If you buy something new, and try to return it, you will get pushed into keeping it until it "breaks in", as in "Oh, yeah, those speakers need 200 hours before you should listen to them". So if after a month or so you still find it's not what you want for your $10,000, what will you do? You can sell it used, and take a 20% loss (or more), or you can return it to your dealer, who will also charge you a restocking fee of 20%. So with a new $10000 purchase, you will lose $2000 just by taking that equipment home.

Whereas if you buy something used, you get a chance to realy try it out. If it turns out not to be the right thing, you can sell it and probably not lose too much.

I support buying from dealers, and do it when I can. But just try returning a $10000 item to a dealer and see what happens.

Good luck with your negotiations