certin speaker makers harder to get dissounts fro

I have gotten a lot of good info here in the past few days, my new question is . The Martin logan dealers i have talked with said they never discount, but they are on sale( the vantage) for $60 off per speaker. Is this true for others who have bought ML speakers you could not get a price break even when spending a far amout of money. If it seems like i harp on money plese for give me im am but a Parmedic and it has taken me some time to put together 11000 dollars. Looking at some of the systems here that may be your cable budget. I dont wish you ill if if can afford this type of gear, I just wish I could also. Maybe one day, and it is fun to dream
cj1capp
anything less then 20% off is an insult! AudioVisions in Ohio sells Martin Logan and will atleast offer 20% off.
CJ, sorry if the litmus test seemed directed at you. I offer it as a counter to some of the posts above from other responders. Also, you made it clear in your post that you are new to the hobby and trying to figure out how to proceed. I don't like sounding high and mighty here, but there are so many views in the above threads that counter my own experience that I thought it best to offer another side.

In short, to some responders above a key component of "value" is the price they pay relative to MSRP. I suggest that you don't get hung up on that definition of value at such an early stage in this hobby. What I have found is that a really good dealer is worth alot more than they usually charge. Their charge being the difference between what I could pay from the lowest price alternative vs in their store.

Let me give you an example. My local 2channel shop has been in business nearly 40 years and is the last 2channel shop in our metro area. I went in last year to see if he had a Sony SACD player as I was hot to get one. He didn't have one but he acquainted himeself with me and my goals and said I may be interested in another product he carried. I borrowed the piece he suggested for the weekend. I brought it back the following week and ordered one from him that actually cost 3 times more than the loaner. I have since purchased many more items from the same manufacturer through this dealer. The kicker here is that I wouldn't know a thing about this manufacturer's products if the dealer hadn't been there to answer my questions and loan the product to me for the weekend. Now, when I buy from him I sometimes get discounts, but it's not the driving factor for the purchase.

On the flipside, I've bought on Agon after hearing things at shows and at friends. Doing so, I don't believe I am taking away business that I owe to my dealer. The difference is I didn't go to my dealer and listen and then say "if you don't give me a discount I'll buy elsewhere!" or some other ultimatum that puts his business at risk.

I am in a similar boat as you, in that $11k is alot to spend on anything audio, and I want to get a good deal like anybody. But, I don't want to sacrifice my values in the process.

This is a great hobby. Don't underestimate how much a good dealer can improve your enjoyment of it.
A good dealer is very important/and a good customer from a dealers perspective is equally as important. This hobby goes both ways. The internet has changed the whole marketplace of audio(and everthing else) With these changes dealers as well as manufacturers need to change their marketing strategies. The internet has increased the competition. This is great for the audio consumer. This is nothing we should apologize for. Finding the best price we can,and still expecting support(from the store and the manufacturer)is something that should be strived for and expected by an audio consumer. I think a large part of the problem lies in the lap of the manufacturer. Their prices are ridiculously inflated. Thats the part thats squeezing the audio shops. The vast majority of high end gear you would be lucky to get 50% of retail 6 months after its sold. This is gear in pristine condition. If this is the case-was it really worth what it originally retailed for?
OK here ya go,

If you ask no more than 5 questions ask for 20%

If he turns lights off around you and walks you out as he locks the door then dont get too greedy

If you slap your cash down or credit card and simply order your gear with no more then a pleasant
"Hello.....nice weather ehhhh?" then ask for 30%
(I mean you didnt use him for any knowledge riiiiight?)

and try not to feel too bad for dealers that dont make as much as they did some time ago......they made too much!