Using Magnets

I imagine there are at least a few audiophiles out there who use magnets in their systems. Would you like to share your experiences? I should preface my remarks by saying that magnets alone will not create an audio silk purse. I have over 40 room treatment devices of various kinds that work synergistically with the dozens of magnets in my system. It has taken a lot of time and effort to integrate the magnets with all of these devices and the system's components.

First off, for those who have not experimented using magnets, the rewards can be astonishing. I have been using magnets in my system for years. I have also made cables with magnets. I introduced Grover Huffman to the idea of using magnets and other important elements. We were partnered in 2013 in a project that never came to fruition.

Anyone can experiment with N50 or N40 neodymium magnets for 50 cents apiece for the 1/8" x 1/2" discs. All you need to do is put some Blu Tack on the back of a few magnets with the attracting side bare. Then go around your system and place the magnets on the ends of various cords and wires. If you do this methodically you may find an amazing improvement in SQ. Too many magnets may choke the sound. So, you will need to go back and forth with this trial and error method to find out what works and what does not work for you.

For power cords, you can fit cylindrical neodymium magnets inside IECs and plugs on your power cords. This gives excellent results in many cases. The cumulative effect of all these system changes can be an amazing transformation in SQ. My system has been transformed by the use of magnets. If you get similar results you may wonder if highly-touted and extremely expensive brand name cords and wires that use magnets are really worth the price.

I prefaced my remarks by saying there are more than a few audiophiles out there experimenting with magnets. Unfortunate, I believe there are too few who dare to go it alone to try to optimize their systems with magnets. The tendency is to defer to those who have been producing cables for a living and who have garnered a reputation. Those who do dare to step outside the audio box may find the rewards exceed their expectations, for a very reasonable cost. This has been is my personal experience.
sabai
Geoffkait,

I have dreamed of some of these places. I use magnets on power cord plugs and windows. I also make my own "tweaks" that incorporate magnets. The results are stunning -- so stunning that I have been thinking about trying to commercialize my prototype. Once I test them in some systems in Singapore later this year I will know more.
Sabai, wouldn't it be nice if everything was nice and simple and just attaching magnets to just about everything solved all the woes of audiophiles? The problem is that things are never that simple. In fact, would you believe that the color of the magnet is important. Yes, you can get results with plain old magnets, and they don't have to be powerful magnets, they can be be ordinary mildly magnetic ceramic magnets. But the color is key to best results. Here is the basic color key: blue for steel and circuit boards, red for power cord plugs and aluminum and green for glass, and any or all colors for wood.
Geoffkait,

It is not at all simple. I have not experimented with colored magnets. I use the stock neodymium magnets. I make my own tweaks that incorporate magnets and other elements.
Hey, just saw these snap together cylinder magnets.. I bought a few and will be trying them on my power cords.
Will report back!
https://supermagnetman.com/search?q=M5051_N52
I use magnetic appliqués on the front and back of my Clever Little Clock, the appliqués used to be orange, now they’re holographic foil "blocks." By the way Mr. Clock is in its fourth version and celebrating its 15th anniversary. Thus, I submit magnetism and time must be related in some way. I’ll leave the explanation to the student. As I mentioned previously somewhere plain vanilla ceramic or neodymium magnets are most powerful - wherever you use them - if they are painted the color that corresponds to the particular application. For example steel corresponds to blue, aluminum to red, glass to green, etc.