Kanye West - Grammy comment, re Beck

Kanye West on-camera last nite: 'Beck needs to respect artistry.' Then a long rant about...ah just watch it.

What would Kanye say about Beethoven? Or Dylan? or Matisse?

Having fun with this as Twitter is aflame already with it. But the more I think about it, the more it gnaws on me. He was referring to Beck winning Album of the Year (instead of Beyonce). I could go on a long rant myself about his ego, general creepiness, but nothing I could add. But his comments are heard by millions of music fans...

Anyhoo, anyone else see those comments? Reactions?
128x128scott_w
Beyoncé had 11 producers , I'm not sure how many writers and musicians?, Beck wrote and produced and I think played all the instruments. When I hear Beck's albums , I wonder why more musicians can't produce albums that sound this great? Sound wise
Todd - don't believe he played all the instruments. Think he had a core group from previous (Seachange?) sessions also used on Morning Phase. His dad did the string arrangements. I agree with you on the quality of his production and overall sound quality. Beck's a great producer if nothing more (though I do happen to think he's more). There's a lot of ugliness in our world. Morning Phase is something of an antidote.
Doesn't matter how many producers an artist has. I do tend to appreciate artist that write and play instruments, but that's me. However, the end result is the music for most artist. Was the music on Beyoncé's cd better or equal to Beck's? That and only that is the question.

But, better to whom? Certain people like certain types of music and not others. This is why there are so many categories.

Beyoncé is a singer and dancer/performer. That is her claim to fame. Beck is a writer/performer.

Beyoncé is a very large Las Vegas show that leaves you breathless at the end, due to the performance, dancing, lighting, pyro, etc Much like Michael Jackson.

So your definition of good music may not be the same as mine.

I personally don't care for Beck or Beyoncé's style of music, but that is just me. Good R&B, Jazz and Classical. Yeah. I can't stand modern singers that can't hold a note and fluctuate their voice all over the place to hide the fact that they can't hold a note. This style is being accepted by younger people as standard. Mostly because it is popular now and they have never really heard good singers.

Stop hating on Beyoncé. She really is a good artist and performer. Same is probably true for Beck.

This is about grabbing and holding onto the fan's attention and keeping one's name in the news.

Kanye West is stupidly rich for a reason. This guy is pretty smart. Don't underestimate him.

It was funny to me what he did. If I were Beck, I would have kicked his butt off of the stage. But, Beck was so shocked, he couldn't do anything.

Its a show. Its entertainment. That is all.

The broadcast of the Grammy's was delayed for a few hours for a reason. So that the producers can edit stupid words, and events. They choose not to edit out Kayne West's antics for a reason. They wanted the TV audience to see it. It makes people talk and tune in.

enjoy the show
ITs crazy to compare BEck and Beyonce much less put them in teh same category in teh first place and then have one win over teh other. Its apples/oranges. So it is what it is..win some loose some. Tell Kanye that!!!