Total cost of ownership - how to reduce it

Audiogon members love their music - but I am not alone, I think, in finding that the requirements in terms of cost and time for keeping the system running at optimal, can become too steep. Can we help each other out?

Today I have spent two hours trying to find a failed tube in my system. Two months ago I had a bad episode with a repair service that did not repair and did not return my stuff. Some weeks ago, I blew a speaker driver, I am still waiting for the replacement. Thinking, I need a tube tester, since my system has a lot of tubes - I got the tester, but it blew tubes, not "dead on arrival" but "over-excited" - and has to be repaired. I am perhaps especially unlucky. But I ask myself, how much is enough? When such experiences accumulate, I can understand people plugging into Mp3, it is simple and it works.

I have thought about my situation and diagnosed two main types of problems - maybe, relevant for other Audiogon members also.

The first is where you buy a thing used and then get it upgraded by the manufacturer. You pay quite a lot for this, and you would expect the whole thing is checked - but it is not. In two cases now, I have experienced that even if the upgrade works fine, the box as a whole is not checked, and develops problems a year or two after the upgrade.

The second case is where you pay for an upgrade that is more like a new build (e g of a speaker) or rebuild (of a cartridge). Now, there is no lagging wear and tear problem, but it turns out that the upgrade parameters were not fully developed, things have to be changed or checked afterwards (speaker drivers dont work optimal, needle not quite in place, etc).

I would be the first to recognize that some of these costs (time, mainly, but money also) should be accepted. I have paid local repair costs without complaining, and have used many hours of my own time. As an advanced user, I accept some extra costs.

It is just that, sometimes it gets too much.

I would like other Audiogon users' thoughts on this dilemma, and especially, what can we do to reduce the total ownership costs.

Your thoughts and experiences welcome.
o_holter
04-08-15: Rhljazz
Obviously you don't own a Range Rover, Mercedes, or BMW. Buy one of those and your audio repairs will fade into the background. One of those fine vehicles will illustrate the frequency, severity, and cost of ownership.
Not my Mercedes but agree with Range Rover and BMW. The key with BMW is sell before bumper to bumper warranty expires.
You're right about the BMW warranty.
The other problem can be diminished to a degree by using headphones although if you insist on using a super expensive source you may not save a ton. If you do what most of the current hedphiers seem to do which is use a computer source and then use a combo integrated DAC Amp you will be ok. My headphone amps have 3 and 1 tube each. I will say this these guys buy the most expensive and exotic tubes they can though. Like buying B65s (MOV/GEC 6SN7) for up to a grand a pop. My headphone output tubes are 6080/6AS7G but will take Tung Sol 5998s and WE421As if I want to use them.
04-08-15: Rhljazz
Obviously you don't own a Range Rover, Mercedes, or BMW. Buy one of those and your audio repairs will fade into the background. One of those fine vehicles will illustrate the frequency, severity, and cost of ownership.
Not my BMW but agree with Range Rover and Mercedes. The key with Mercedes & Range Rover is to sell before bumper to bumper warranty expires.
Lower cost, today I got the following vinyl,all mint, for
the grand total of $3.96 at Goodwill in Maplewood ,MN burb of St. Paul
6 disc set of Beethoven String Qts by Guarneri Qt on RCA
Famous record of Brahms German Requiem ,Carl Bamberger N.German Radio Orch. Nonesuch
Mozart Piano Cnt 23-24 ECO Gibson EMI
Honneger Sym #4 French Radio ,Charles Munch Erato
Reinecke Flute amd Harp Cnts, Rampal-Laskine Erato
Saint-Saens Symphony #3 Marie-Claie Alain, Martinon FNO Erato
Mozart Vn Cnt 3-4 Ristenpart Sarre CO Nonesuch
Higher end equipment. Audio, cars, watches, etc. are all very expensive to maintain and when they fail, it will costs. Mid fi and low fi equipment is sometimes not even worth the trouble to repair. But, repair is repair. Whether it is tube or solid state. If it is high end, it will costs. Don't let anyone, tube or solid state fans tell you otherwise.

There is a price for playing with the big boys. You want a Mercedes, BMW, Breitling, Rolex, Pass, Audio Research, VTL, etc. be prepared to pay lots when they require work. The costs to replace the panels on my Martin Logan Monolith IIIs now is over three grand. But, it is what it is. I do most of the work on my cars. I purchase OEM, or upper quality parts mostly on line and I restore classic cars, so I know what to do. But, if you don't know how to work on cars, or work on houses, or install floors, etc. you have to come out of pocket to the ones that do. Good luck with plumbing.

I'm not minimizing your complaints, but to me, this is the costs of doing business. The cost to play with the big boys.

Auto companies make their real money on the maintenance and repair costs, not on the sale of the cars. Most people can't work on audio equipment themselves, so parts and labor are pretty high. For high end equipment, that is.

It is a decision between sound reproduction quality and reliability of the equipment.

I haven't had any problems with any of the Audio Research equipment that I have owned over the years. I do understand that my Mark Levinson 23.5's will need cap replacement some time. But, I can do that myself. I've replaced the power supplies and panels on my Martin Logan Monolith III speakers some time ago. I'm not looking forward to either replacing the panels again or going through the time and effort of trying to demo and buy new speakers when that time arises.

When it is time for work or repairs, I just have to deal with it.

Enjoy your music while you can. Life is what happens while you are busy making other plans.

enjoy