Jazz for aficionados

Jazz for aficionados

I'm going to review records in my collection, and you'll be able to decide if they're worthy of your collection. These records are what I consider "must haves" for any jazz aficionado, and would be found in their collections. I wont review any record that's not on CD, nor will I review any record if the CD is markedly inferior. Fortunately, I only found 1 case where the CD was markedly inferior to the record.

Our first album is "Moanin" by Art Blakey and The Jazz Messengers. We have Lee Morgan , trumpet; Benney Golson, tenor sax; Bobby Timmons, piano; Jymie merrit, bass; Art Blakey, drums.

The title tune "Moanin" is by Bobby Timmons, it conveys the emotion of the title like no other tune I've ever heard, even better than any words could ever convey. This music pictures a person whose down to his last nickel, and all he can do is "moan".

"Along Came Betty" is a tune by Benny Golson, it reminds me of a Betty I once knew. She was gorgeous with a jazzy personality, and she moved smooth and easy, just like this tune. Somebody find me a time machine! Maybe you knew a Betty.

While the rest of the music is just fine, those are my favorite tunes. Why don't you share your, "must have" jazz albums with us.

Enjoy the music.
orpheus10
Today's Playlist:

Terence Blanchard -- A Tale of God's Will (a requiem for katrina)
Very beautiful, Moving and reflective music. Blanchard plays for his home town, New Orleans. This could have been a disaster, but was very well done.
Most of the tunes written by Blanchard. Also includes the backing of the Northwest Sinfonia, and, a guy playing the Tabla and the Happy Apple!!
Not sure it's Jazz, but Blanchard is a Jazz player from the birthplace of Jazz. That's good enough.

Oscar Peterson Trio -- At Newport (July 7 1957)
A tale of two LP sides. Side A has the OP Trio in their usual outstanding form. This man does not make bad recordings. Just some are mo'better greater than others.
Side B is when Roy Eldrige, Sonny Stitt and Jo Jones join the party. WOW! What a difference drums and horns make. All is good, the tunes with Stitt and company just take it up a notch.
The liner notes mention that Stitt started his career on alto, but since Bird was still alive, he switched to tenor. When Bird died, he went back to alto. hahhahahhah Live at Newport Festival.

The Paris All-Stars -- Homage To Charlie Parker
The All-Stars include: Dizzy, Getz, Roach, McLean, Phil Woods, Milt Jackson, Hank Jones, and Percy Heath. All Stars Indeed!!
Great playing throughout. The Sax players sort of take over on the last three tunes: Cherokee, Night in Tunisia and OO PA PA DA. Outstanding playing from all three sax players. Dizzy sings on the last tune, and it is a riot!! Great Stuff!! Live in Paris.

Maynard Ferguson -- Conquistador
Stop all those boos, and cries of outrage!! I haven't said anything yet.
Commercial claptrap at it's worst!! Sellout!!! Non-Jazz!! One reviewer said that 'Mister Mellow' was the worst song he had EVER heard!!
As Chief of Jazz Police for Central Texas, I have to stand by my fellow Aficionados.

I just don't understand how, or why, I wore out two LPs playing this mess, and then bought it on CD!!! Hmmmmmm

Wanna hear how high a human can play a trumpet? This is it. It ain't Jazz, but it's very enjoyable music. In fact, it's the only record I have ever heard, from a distance, that I thought was a live band!! Still remember the time and place.

BTW,

Like R&B?
Like Country?
Here it is on the same CD. 'Rhythm Country and Blues'
Very well done. Check it out.

Cheers
If anyone enjoys Milt Jackson as I do,this recording sounded beatiful last night.
"Big Bags" Milt fronting a large jazz band and playing arrangements by Tadd Dameron and Ernie Wilkins. On the Riverside label from 1962, nice CD.
Regards,

"BTW, you just destoryed my rep as a 'reviewer'. Thanks!
Rok2id "

Rok, I really appreciate your playlist, it helps me to decide on new CD's.

This is a "jazz" music forum, and the music Rok recommended is some fantastic jazz.

While Rok and I disagreed on the sonic qualities of the music in that bargain set, we absolutely did not disagree on the absolute qualities of the music. This music belongs in anyone's jazz collection who considers himself an "aficionado". I have, and I will continue to pay an exorbitant price for this music. If this set meets your sonic requirements, then you have received "manna from heaven". Here is a very small sample from "you tube".

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2u_lv_Q3VPM

I may have destroyed your rep as an "audiophile", but since you never claimed one, I don't think that's an issue. Nowhere in any of my posts did I question your legitimacy as a music reviewer. I just thought I would set the record straight.

Enjoy the music.

Charles1dad, after going on "You tube" I placed an order for "Big Bags". In regard to the sonics, your credentials as an "audiophile" are well established.

Enjoy the music.