Is Vinyl Worth It

Great cartoon in this week's New Yorker magazine. Has a caption: 'The two things that really drew me to vinyl were the expense and the inconvenience'. Sounds familiar.
buconero117
"But I would say if you can't hear the difference, just keep your iPhone and ear buds in, you don't need to be spending big bucks on audio gear."

Often, where there's an abundance of abuse, there's a shortage of evidence.
Why is it always posed as a choice between the two formats? If your audio system is in the service of your music (as it should be, right?), and you have both LP's and CD's, then you obviously can't choose between the two, you need both a record player and a CD player. I have a fair number of LP's that never made it to CD (no 78's, though!). That's for us older guys. If you're younger and don't yet have any LP's, then yeah the question can be should you get into them and the requisite turntable/arm/cartridge/phono amp/record cleaner. New LP's cost a lot more than CD's or digital downloads, so one has to decide if the music is important enough to oneself to spend twice as much for an LP vs. a CD (or download). I find myself in that predicament often these days. And that's assuming the LP of any particular album sounds "better" than the CD, a mighty big assumption. For myself, I have to really love the music to spring for the LP, and have some reason to believe that it sounds enough better than the CD to make it worth it to me. I already have so much music in my collection that for me to want to add something new to it, it has to be mighty damn special. I just don't have the time left to waste on non-"A" music. You youngins---make the most of your years! Every minute you spend listening to the equipment is a minute you don't have anymore for listening to the music. Those are two very different things. Listen critically just long enough to find good sound, then forget about it. Take it from one who spent too much time doing the opposite!
Vinyl is a religion. Often people optimize their system for
the vinyl and use CDs "for the convenience". It
usually means that they cannot find recording they're
looking for on the vinyl because of very limited selection.
SACDs are generally considered better sounding than CDs but
are not very popular for the same reason. I would rather
spend my money optimizing system for popular media.

To me not only pops and clicks are unacceptable but also
faint hiss of analog recordings. It brings me from
"being there" back to my living room. As for the
sound - I have some breathtaking sounding CDs showing
ability of the media. I also like convienience of the
computer server and ability of the backup in case of theft
or fire.
Everytime I acquire a newer piece of quality digital gear. The more my historic fondness of vinyl becomes less of an issue.

My advice to newbies is sample the latest and greatest digital gear available if you have the funds before going retro. Unless retro is just your thing. I am a hybrid. I like it all.
"Listen critically just long enough to find good sound, then forget about it. Take it from one who spent too much time doing the opposite!"

Sage advice, I totally agree!