Does having an object inbetween the speakers bad?

Hi, I am unsatisfied with the soundstaging of my current setup. In particular I am not getting the 3d soundstage (depth) that I would like. Currently, I have my audio rack in between my speakers. Rack itself is about 3 ft tall. Could having this rack in between my speakers be causing my lack of soundstaging?

Any feedback/advice would be greatly appreciated!
128x128tboooe
Everything affects everything. A mega tv of 300+lbs will have some affect. The less you block or absorb the sound the better the results. If things did not affect or produce an effect we would not need to tweak.
I have a HUGE, Guargantuan, massive, behemoth, wooden "entertainment center" between my speakers. It was present one day when I got home from work years ago and to this day I don't remember agreeing to its purchase.... Anyway, "it" was a big reason that my interest in audiophilia waned for several years, thinking that it would be useless to try to get speakers to image the way that I wanted (I heard some old, three box Audio Physic Calderas, and those imaged better than anything I'd heard up to that point). My interest soemhow got piqued by Audiogon listings of some Paradigms (I had Paradigm 9 SE's at the time), and I ended up with Paradigm Studio 100 V3's, purchased at a dealer, who was meticulous in setting them up. They actually managed to image fairly well.

Then I heard the Intuitive Design Summits, had to have them, got them, and the soundstage that they throw is phenomenal, so much so that I posted an Audiogon review about them where I basically went ga-ga over them. (The speakers and the "entertainment center" are pictured in that review.)

So....it's possible to get central imaging even with a huge monstrosity between the speakers. My suspicion is that the imaging would improve still further if the "thing" weren't there between the speakers, however.
-Bill
I don't want to seem picky but a rear projection tv will absorb sound and not reflect it. I have done tests. Just because it shines doesn't make it auto reflect. It will reflect light ..but not sound . I know ....iknow..I the negative one.
I have a large bigscreen TV between my speakers and it makes no difference whatsoever. I rolled it down the other end of the room and A/B'd the difference. None that I and my "golden eared" buddies could hear.

It's a big bugger too, 65" Mitsu. Picture in my system link. I always thought I'd be better off with nothing between the speakers...........goes to show that is not always the case.

Best,

Paul :-)
As this thread might indicate as it has progressed, the larger the better. If you have the room I'd recommend putting a small tugboat in between your speakers. If space is an issue, perhaps a piece of farm machinery like a thresher or a combine. Either one will make you think you were wearing some of those carboard red and blue 3-d movie glasses on your ears! Whoohaaa, now we're talking "sound stage"!!

Marco

PS....If you go for the tug or farm machinery solution, don't try running the engine in either one while you are listening to music. It'll ruin the 3-d effect.