Horning Hybrid speaker recommendations

Hello

Seeking for a reasonbly sized high efficiency full range speaker in the <10K price. As far as possible I would like to stay away from designs that have a powered subwoofer attached to it for example VR DB99, ZU Definitions and AG Unos/Duos. I have listened to Zu Definitions and was not to my liking. I had Oris 150 before and did not like the presentation hence would avoid the AG.

Recently I came across an review in Stereophile regarding Horning Hybrids Perikles and its seems to be a good design with a Lowther driver + horn tweeter and 2 woofers . I am interested in the next model up which is the Agathon in a much bigger cabinet and better drivers.

Any opinions or observations regarding Horning would be appreciated and any other HE designs.
Thanks
nakolawala
Agathon and 18watt Lamm is a set that I like very very much, it rocks and it's smooth.
I've only heard the Hornings with Lamm and one other DIY amp (very expensive construction though). Go listen foryourself.
I am friends with the importer, Jeff Catalano of Highwatersound in NYC, and have heard most of the Horning lineup. The Hornings are unique in design and sound wonderful given the right upstream components and careful setup. I have always been a SS electronics/dynamic speaker owner and have long resisted the charms of the Hornings. I finally broke down and ordered a pair of Perikles. Jeff's also a quality person who stands behind his products.
I own the Alkibiades. I use them with a 15watt KT88 amp and an 8watt 300b amp. In the near future, I'm going to add a 211 amp. All single ended amps. I too am friends with the importer. He's a stand up guy -- calls it like it is, and believes passionately in his products. Jeff will speak honestly with you about other HE designs. Once I figured out what I like from a system -- which is dynamics, fully bodied cohesiveness, scale, tone and timing -- I've yet to hear a better range of speakers that can deliver it. I've not heard every Horning hybrid speaker -- just the Perikles, the Agathons and the Alkibiades. I think the Perikles is the biggest bang for the buck.
How would the Perikles go with a Pass Labs XA30 ?
Or a chip-amp like the Audio Sector Patek?
I am technophobic, live deep in the mountains, with no access to support or service of any sort so want to avoid tubes.
I'd appreciate any thoughts.
I too am friends with the importer, and own the Horning Agathon Ultimates. In my opinion, they are one of the best speakers on the market. Tommy Horning (the designer) is perhaps the first person to correctly implement the Lowther driver; his design takes full advantage of its outstanding midrange, while avoiding all it's nasties. The tweeter Tommy designed blends seemlessly with the Lowther, and the bass drivers provide plenty of deep powerful bass.

I use a 30 Watt per channel Tube Distinctions hybrid amplifier, but I have heard the Hornings sound incredible when driven by 7 Watt SET amps (for example, that from Tron), as well as by the op amp-based 47Labs GainCard.

As should be obvious, I enthusiastically endorse Horning speakers.

Larry Borden
dagogo.com