Sand and shot?

This question is really for what most bookshelf speakers sit on--the stand. I'm planning on filling a set of stands(24") but just have the sand presently. Do I really need lead shot as well or will the sand be enough. Most reviews I read on speakers mention stands with both. Any help would be most appreciated.
south43
An update: I did find the blu tack(actually yellow)at Walmart as well as the shot. However I did not purchase the shot as they only had #6 in stock. A project for another day. In addition I just purchased a pair of Epos ELS 3's so it's been a good day I'll be looking for them soon. Like I said earlier these stands are not all that and I plan to update them in the near future. I want again to thank everyone for there feedback. Bret
Of course, that's not your genuine Aussie BluTack as invented by Bostik and protected by international trademarks. You probably have FunTack. It will ooze over time and make a nice yellow mess.

Regards,
Actually it's called Handi-Tak and it's made by Pacer Technology. There was some of the same in blue but this stuff claimed to be acid and lignin free(whatever that is). Anyway if you have some of that Aussie tack available let me know. Regards,
The Bostik can be found from time to time on Ebay. I have a question: If you use a straight pure playground-type sand from Home Depot, what is the proper amount to fill the stand tubes? I have read that filling to the brim makes for an over-damped sound. One guy found the best results filling with about 70%, the balance air. Anyone else have experience with X-amounts of sand to achieve the right results?