Jazz for aficionados

Jazz for aficionados

I'm going to review records in my collection, and you'll be able to decide if they're worthy of your collection. These records are what I consider "must haves" for any jazz aficionado, and would be found in their collections. I wont review any record that's not on CD, nor will I review any record if the CD is markedly inferior. Fortunately, I only found 1 case where the CD was markedly inferior to the record.

Our first album is "Moanin" by Art Blakey and The Jazz Messengers. We have Lee Morgan , trumpet; Benney Golson, tenor sax; Bobby Timmons, piano; Jymie merrit, bass; Art Blakey, drums.

The title tune "Moanin" is by Bobby Timmons, it conveys the emotion of the title like no other tune I've ever heard, even better than any words could ever convey. This music pictures a person whose down to his last nickel, and all he can do is "moan".

"Along Came Betty" is a tune by Benny Golson, it reminds me of a Betty I once knew. She was gorgeous with a jazzy personality, and she moved smooth and easy, just like this tune. Somebody find me a time machine! Maybe you knew a Betty.

While the rest of the music is just fine, those are my favorite tunes. Why don't you share your, "must have" jazz albums with us.

Enjoy the music.
orpheus10

Dr. Dre grossed $110. million pretax. Does that mean he's 110 times better musician than Wynton Marsalis who only made a measly 1 million or so?
It certainly doesn`t mean he`s a better musician.It is sheer evidence he`s far more popular and has legions of fans who are happy consumers of his product.Was Michael Jackson a better musician than T.Monk?
Regards,

I don't like Wynton's music, I don't like my own music, because I can't make any. I don't like Dr. Dre's music, but I do like Harold Land's music. I was able to get top dollar for Wynton's LP's that I sold because so many other people like his music, and I'm glad for me and Wynton. Some people like strawberry while others like vanilla.

Enjoy the music.
For you youtube folks.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RvNIivHdy0Q

If you don't get the trumpet solo on 'Layla', then you are hereby banished from the Jazz Aficionados faternity.

Of course all the other players are great also. Check out 'just a closer walk with thee' also. Hell, check out the whole CD.

I find that I am a lot more receptive and sympathetic to music when I can see the players as they play.

Cheers

Wynton makes a million a year? Tiny Tim made that much in one day singing 'tiptoe thru the tulips'. And they say there is no justice!
As has been demonstrated many times over in this thread, the beauty of music (any music) is that it touches individuals in unique ways. Objectivity can only take one so far in determining (if one must) who is better, best, etc. as there is an inextricable link between what the artist is saying (or trying to say), how he is saying it, and the sensibilities of the particular listener. There are, in fact, certain universally accepted "cues" that the cognoscenti (aficionados) use to establish certain and usually broad benchmarks, but they are of usually limited use in discussions given the emotional nature of both the music and the discussions.

Having said that, and re the "Layla" cut, I definitely "get it", I just think that it is average blues trumpet playing at best. I think that the cut, as a whole, is really good and with a good vibe. But, where as this should have been an opportunity for "the jazz cat" to cut Clapton's, while good, typically derivative blues playing to shreds, it is only on a par with.

This I really get:

http://m.youtube.com/watch?feature=relmfu&v=HJLsvlYE9t8

Talk about "telling a story". Or, really playing in the pocket. Listen to the subtle inflections that propel the groove even at (especially?) such a slow tempo. True artistry; IMO.

I hope this is downloadable (it is not on my IPad). This is one of my very favorite Wynton solos on record from one of my very favorite records of all time. Wynton was really on that day:

http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=ur-lNeq4pQM