What don't you like about these speakers?

I will soon be able to audition the following speakers: Von Schweikert VR-2, Gallo Reference 3.1, and the Dynaudio Focus 220. My limit is $3000. I am not going to consider other speakers. I am not going to buy used. I want to support the retail audio shops. I live far enough away that I will have to drive 3 hours to Kansas City to a dealer who has all three set up. These speakers all get rave press and positives here, however, I am interested more in the opinions of those who didn't like them. I have Dynaudio 70s, which I like, but want to step up to an even better speaker. It's easy to get lots of positives, after all, we like what we listen to and have spent good money to buy. If there are specific problem areas, I would be interested to hear about them. Thank you in advance for your replies.
tgrisham
Hey Brent I live in the area and would like to take a listen. I heard the Gallos once when they first came out but it was only for an hour or so. I thought thay sounded very good. You St.Louis guys should check us out over at audiocircle.com We have a group of about 2o people from the gateway area and growing. We meet about 4 times a year for large meetins and do lots of small sessions every couple of weeks. We have lots of diffrent gear.
Sturgus
hi tgrisham:

you should experiment with room treatment, if possible.

would the amp be near the speakers and would you run long interconnects, so the electronics are on a side wall ?

i need more details to give advice based upon my experience.

my room is 12 x 18 and my amp is near my speakers, which are about 5 feet from the wall, about 10 feet from my.

my equipment cabinet is on the side wall and i run 6 meter interconnects.

i have room treatment on the side walls and behind the speakers. i use other tweaks as well.

if you want more information you can call me. i hesitate to include my number here, but if you send me an e mail i will give it to you and we can talk.

i own quads, but will be buyinga pair of magnepan 1.6ss within the month.

my e mail address is rouyash04@yahoo.com.

if anyone else wants to ask specific questions about panels or any other issues of audio, feel free.

i have a walth of experience, having attended CES for about 13 years, belong to an audio club, and in general have been exposed to over 500 stereo systems and many, many many components.
I am very fortunate that my measurements of in room frequency response are +/= 3 dB across the range, except for a hump of 6-8 dB at 40 Hz. I am sure that is the room and where I sit. That is something that can be tuned with room treatments. Otherwise, the room is working well with difraction on the sides and quilts hanging behind the speakers. The only issue is how far away from the back and sides do Maggies have to be to sound right. Wish me luck!
"I am not going to consider other speakers"...but why? Put them all contenders on the board. Thats how I do things. Process of elimination.
Good Luck.
Bartok fan,

I understand your view, but it is difficult for me to actually audition speakers becuase there aren't enough shops nearby. Speakers are so individual that my ears need time to adjust and appreciate them. I am sure there are very many in the $3000 range that are wonderful, but I have to narrow it down to those I can compare. The other problem is side by side comparison, which is a must for me. My brain can't remember the subtleties of a speaker heard yesterday while I'm listening to another today. Luckily, Primus has all three (and more, such as Triangle) on display and can be heard side by side. It would be enjoyable to spend a week just swapping and comparing , but unfortunately work gets in the way. On the other hand, I can think of few things more enjoyable than listening to music all day long, reproduced by great equipment. Grab a pizza and a bottle of wine and make the most of it!