Acoustic Zen Adagio, How Good Are They?

Just read the glowing review in TAS. Has enyone heard these and if so is all the positive press justified?
128x128rja
Response34, I am running the 6C33C too but in SET with my Almarro 318B (NFB) into the Adagios, the sound is really good, perhaps the sound is a bit on the warm side as the lower midrange is quite pronounced but nevertheless it is extremely musical sounding. (I'd believe the Adagio is a warm speaker)

What we have changed is the input bypass Nichicon Gold caps to BlackGate NX in parallel Super-E config (ie 2 stock caps into 4 BG-NX), Mundorf Supreme and Auricap for coupling.

I chose these as well as Sylvania VT-231 and Tungsol VT-229 because I wouldn't want want to pair the Adagios with a slow, warm, laidback sounding amp. The resulting music is really musical and not the Hifi-ish sound you get from many setups nowadays.

Those 60W of PP power must be great for ya. I think that 18W is still somewhat limiting on some programme, even in my smallish room of about 11x15 feet. I hope to be able to play with stuff like 805 or the GM70 someday, with more amps using these tubes.

PS. I heard really good things on your mods for the MIC tube amps, but I just can't bring myself to spend on the V-CAP teflons! And the Russian Teflons are too big to squeeze in. Sigh.
Hi 2100,

I have feeling you're from Singapore. I am too getting the Alamrro 318Bn to pair with the Adagio.

What cables are u using in your setup?

Thanks.
Hi merelyok,

Yup you in SG too? I use the same handle/nick in the local forums (echoloft/Xtremeplace). : ) I guess you'll be getting the same stuff from the same dealer?

Cables....Nothing special, just van den hul CS-122 single run (well the Adagio can't be biwired, so i save here...ha!) and DHLabs Air Matrix w/Eichmann plugs, both silver coated Long Grain copper.

Do change the input bypass and coupling caps in the 318Bn,
you will find that the amp leaps into another league.
Whether or not is it just an improvement or difference depends on your tastes. The Adagio is not exactly very sensitive at 89dB/m/w so for tubes try to go for at least double digit wattage tube amps, esp if your music demands the headroom. The Almarro can be made to match the Adagio and your tastes sonically just by changing the caps, which won't cost much.

Let me know if you have any questions in echoloft, i have a thread on the 318B there.
Hi 2100,

yep guessed it from your handle.

I am going to change the caps in the 318B. Heard the stock version with the Adagio and it already had oodles of promise.

Frankly, those power tubes on the Almarro are real monsters and the sound that it produces belies the fact that it has *only* 18 watts of power.

The Almarro/Adagio combo is just very musical and warm, but with nice bass slam and control to boot. Something that im looking for. Infact, i prefer the Adagio over the newer Hyperions.
Hi 2100,
The 6C33 amps I am currently running were a bit on the warmer side in their original form. They are discontinued ASL KMP60 Fox mono blocs but I am now having the chassis OEM'ed for my by Joseph Lou of ASL. They are now being built in-house here in New York and voiced for a bit more presence and air. I use the SoniCap Platinum Teflon in these along with a rebuilt power supply which also helps to tighten up the bass.

With the Adagio speaker, many have commented they sound like 60 watt 300B's. I am very happy with this combination and when matched with the proper preamp (very linear tube units), the presentation is very well balanced and refined.