Experience Loading Speakers w/ sand or shot

Totem says it's permissible to load their
speaker cabinets with sand, or lead shot, among other things, the goal being bass that is more taut.
Has anyone done this with Totem speakers (ie the Forest?)
128x128golfrok
Lead dust? Oh, let's not get carried away. Lead shot is perfectly safe unless you eat the stuff or get shot by some. Just wash your hands after handling it.
Better yet, you should try the micro-bearings from Star Sound instead of sand or lead. They're quite expensive though but worth the cost.
the toxins that enter the air from lead shot are just as toxic as those from paint containing lead. ask any MD
i used cat litter in my Arros. I think that the info from Totem said to use that or lead shot. I just don't want my Great Pyrenees to knock the little things over.
Jay,

Not true. The lead oxides in paint (white lead) can be an issue as paint is available to be abraided off by touch, damage, etc (think of wiping your hand on lead paint & then eating something without washing your hands)...this assumes the surface hasn't been painted since the 70's. Lead shot in a container (speaker stand) isn't available to touch & won't be 'evaporating' anytime soon. I would load the stands with lead outside & wash up afterwards...after that..not an issue.