Definition of "too Hi-Fi"

On numerous occasions others have described a speaker (or other component) as sounding “too Hi-Fi.” What does this mean? Isn't that exactly the goal? Doesn't High Fidelity mean faithful to the original, i.e., sounds like live music, live instruments, or a fool the ear impression of “I'm there,” or “they're here?” It seems contradictory to criticize something for being too close to perfection. Maybe that's taking it too literally. So. . ,

What does “too Hi-Fi” mean to you?
ojgalli
Agreeing with the folks who say that if the music is not served first it's too (or simply not) hi-fi. Who cares if the recording has a great sense of space and undistorted sonics if you can't listen beyond the aural/visual effect to appreciate the music. (So much for the 'recording' aspect where it all starts - I realize that is not what this thread is about).

IMHO the "too hi'fi" observations come about as a result of manufacturers creating components that are simply voiced brightly or have un-naturally fast rise and decay times, either (or both) in order to impress buyers with a (false) sense of additional detail and resolution. Combine these components with speakers that can accurately reproduce these signals and you've got Too Hi-Fi. Usually the problems arrise in the upper-mid and high frequencies.

I think a lot of audiophiles, and reviewers as well, in assessing individual components frequently think 'more' is 'better' but then stress the need for 'synergy' when you assemble a system to compensate for those instances when 'more', in any individual or all of the components, results in something unlistenable. Much like having to stuff some tubes into the system somewhere to compensate for sounds that are too sterile, clinical, etc, with the result being the tubes round off some of the sharp edges added by the manufacturers referred to above (You see the question a lot, especially when Digital is involved, "Where should I put the tubes, CDP, Pre amp, Amp?").

FWIW.
I've taken it mean that the speaker excels at typically hifi atributes that are not necessarily those found in a live performance, for example ultra precise pinpoint imaging...ever listen to a live symphony or classical concert, theres almost no sense of pin point at the real event, i realize this is a function of the recording as well, but i guess some speakers highlight it more than others...
Good question with an easy answer. "Too hi-fi" means the opposite of "musical." There, that should clear things up.
agree with Rotarius about sterile ie: clinical to an unpleasant stage, lacking in PRAT. In my case, when I hear "HiFi", I would not be able to sit through a listening session for long without constantly wanting to change the music played. Perhaps a sign for me to look for something more musical/enjoyable??