Mainstream reviews-why so few?

I have a question as to why certain products, such as the Green Mountain Audio Europa speakers, raved about on audiogon, receive so little mainstream press exposure? Maybe there are several reasons, but I am just curious. Thanks in advance for any comments.
douglasmkatz
The consipracy theoriests says it's because the industry is an "Old Boys Club" where only the personal friends of the writers and editors get their stuff reviewed (glowingly), and/or those who are willing to cough up big advertising dollars.

I'm not sure they're so far off the mark.

For me, the 'net press is so much more down-to-earth and closer to home anyway. 6Moons has reviewed two Green Mountain speakers - very accurately. Meaning, they loved them.

Paul
Some sell by word of mouth and less through reviews.

Do Green Mountain buy lots of advertising space in the audio magazines? If not then they are less likely to be reviewed.

Ford trucks get big advertising in North America, but demanding customers tend to choose Land Cruisers in remote locations. It is a niche market but I suspect audiophiles may be similar picky customers...that go by word of mouth and experience rather than what they read/see in the media.
And, sadly, wherever it's reviewed, the odds are that it will be a rave and it is nearly dead-certain that it will be at least positive--regardless of product. So, maybe everything sounds really good and is of good value...in which case put on a blindfold and pick something!! If people who drove trucks in remote areas (or anyplace else) were like audiophiles, they'd be walking most of the time.
I think buzz creates the demand for reviews, and buzz is created from advertising and shows, and big companies have lot's of money for advertising and shows so that is likely the reason. I rarely believe in conspiracy theories, except Roswell of course but we all see the improvement in sound equipment once the alien technology was examined and shared with the electronics industry.....
I own the GMA Europas, and I think they're great, but I would certainly like to see the measurements on them (frequency response, step response, phase response, waterfall). I wish GMA was a little forthcoming with measurements. I like their products, but their new website is a bit too slick and technobabble for me.

One thing that I think does speak positively for GMA's products is that you don't often see them for sale in the used section here on Audiogon.