Merlin VSM-mm's a good value at $3000 used?

Hi,

Quick question. I am looking to spend about 3K used, and several people seem to be very happy with the Merlin floorstanding monitor VSM-mm. These are going used for about $3000. Would you say this is a good value at the used price? Preferred music is jazz, classical, and some modern, electronic jazz mixes (I love THE NECKS, for example). Room is about 11x18x10 (with some spillover into a larger room at the end). I would also have the option of a 14x24 room. Electronics TBD-whatever works best, as I have no issues swapping out my current gear with something more suited to the task. I guess the only thing that I am worried about is the lack of low-end: I would like to get a true full-range sound (although I don't listen to organ music, but would hate to partially lose the bass lines so prominent in jazz, which has happened with past monitors I have owned). Most of the speakers in this price range are 3 to 5 ways, so it seems hard to believe that a simple 2-way can reproduce the full-range of the larger speakers. Darn, I wish I had an audition, but there is nobody within a few hours of me here! Obviously there are lots of options for $3K used (Legacy Focus, Tyler Sig System, Audio Physic Virgo III) but it seems difficult to find a bad word about the Merlin's, with several people going through mulitple upgrades over time, as new models come out. Thanks for your help!
dawgcatching
tvad,
i never said or implied that your recommendation was not reasonable. but you clearly approached the issue from the negative side and that was abundantly clear and unfair. most who have not heard the product would make incorrect assumptions based on what you said. most people buy subs not to extend the bass but to add to the embodiment. most people who do this do so because a sub is less expensive than changing the wires, electronics and sources. there have been many posts of people who had subs on them and sold the sub after changing to tonally fuller ancillaries. the magic of the speaker is not the bone crushing dynamics or being able to knock your living room into the street. compared to other monitors, the vsm/bam can do much more imho. the system's merits are on all aspects of their presentation and the balance of these.
regards,
bobby
11-30-06: Tvad
You should really try to hear them before you buy. Otherwise, be patient
for a very nice price on a used pair that you can potentially re-sell if they
don't perform to your liking. You may love them. Many do. Many also
comment about the bass response, and this is the area where what you
like is a very personal choice.
I don't see where there is anything negative in this recommendation. It's entirely fair and reasonable.

People buy and re-sell all the time in this hobby. There's nothing perjorative at all in this methodology. Bring the product home and listen to decide if it fits with one's preferences. It's just a common sense approach when auditioning the product is a barrier, due to any number of circumstances.

Finally, your mention of proper ancillaries is a point that should also be given serious consideration by any potential Merlin buyer, since maximum performance appears to require a complete system approach that is fairly exacting and may potentially require investment in new amplification and wiring.
tvad,
you said that many like them and many comment on the bass. that implication was not fair and i corrected you as to why i was concerned. preconception is a dangerous thing. it clearly made it appear to be more negative than you may have wanted to it to be and that the totals were 50/50. perhaps i am more sensitive because this is my product but still, that is my feeling. enough said on that point.
if you are using an underdamped speaker than you will in most cases want want an amp with a high damping factor or current to control it. this is also a system approach and one should be used in every system for best results. after all, if you had a damped system and used tubes to flesh it out and then purchased one of many underdamped speaker brands to work with the electronics, the sound would be a bloated mess. this is the exact opposite to the merlin situation and entirely possible.
there are many things that make them sound right and with the newer the product, you have greater ease in finding nice sounding assocoiated gear (even ss).
lets not bicker, i am entitled to my opinion just like you.
i also know of many using ponderous sounding speakers with subs on them so, who is to say what is right and wrong.
regards,
bobby
12-01-06: Bobbyapalkovic
tvad,
you said that many like them and many comment on the bass. that implication was not fair...
I have read posts from owners and lovers of Merlin loudspeakers who
have commented on the bass, and have explained how Merlin bass is more natural, and how quality is better than quantity. This is not a perjorative statement, yet it's interesting that owners feel compelled to comment; thus, my statement that many have made comments, and indeed they have. One has only to do a thread search and read for themselves.

i also know of many using ponderous sounding
speakers with subs on them so, who is to say what is right and wrong.
regards,
bobby
Bobbyapalkovic  (Answers)
Finally you have the kernel of my argument, and why it's so important to
listen before one buys.
tvad,
never ever had any issues with the listening before you buy thing just your way of describing other aspects of the discussion.
i wish i had a pair of e versions in a well thought out system for you to audition. lets see what i come up with.
happy holidays to you.
bobby