Jazz for aficionados

Jazz for aficionados

I'm going to review records in my collection, and you'll be able to decide if they're worthy of your collection. These records are what I consider "must haves" for any jazz aficionado, and would be found in their collections. I wont review any record that's not on CD, nor will I review any record if the CD is markedly inferior. Fortunately, I only found 1 case where the CD was markedly inferior to the record.

Our first album is "Moanin" by Art Blakey and The Jazz Messengers. We have Lee Morgan , trumpet; Benney Golson, tenor sax; Bobby Timmons, piano; Jymie merrit, bass; Art Blakey, drums.

The title tune "Moanin" is by Bobby Timmons, it conveys the emotion of the title like no other tune I've ever heard, even better than any words could ever convey. This music pictures a person whose down to his last nickel, and all he can do is "moan".

"Along Came Betty" is a tune by Benny Golson, it reminds me of a Betty I once knew. She was gorgeous with a jazzy personality, and she moved smooth and easy, just like this tune. Somebody find me a time machine! Maybe you knew a Betty.

While the rest of the music is just fine, those are my favorite tunes. Why don't you share your, "must have" jazz albums with us.

Enjoy the music.
orpheus10
@Orpheus - I appreciate your passion for jazz. What I don't get is why you think I am having trouble "accepting" anything?? I was merely trying to explain to you the kind of work it takes to become a professional musician of any kind - my comments were in no way specific to classical music, and I am sorry if this was not clear. I will let Frogman's great answer stand - he writes much more clearly than I, that's for sure.

@Charles1dad - yes, some classical musicians do still improvise, though this is largely becoming a lost art in the classical world. Even well into the 19th century, almost all musicians had to develop some ability for it, but after that point, the incredible technical advances in both instruments and players brought about such specialization that the focus now is almost entirely on learning to play the instruments as well as possible. It also has to do with the sheer size of the "standard rep." There is so much music out there that the orchestral musician must know now that most feel there is no time to develop improvisational skills that they would probably never be called upon to use. This is a very sad thing, IMO.

That said, there are still many who do on a regular basis, though in a different way from the jazz musicians. They are mainly keyboardists - those who perform baroque music are the best example. A harpsichordist must do what is called "realizing" the figured bass. Basically, the composer has written down some figures (numbers) below the bass note that tells the performer what chord is required. It is entirely up to the performer how this chord is spaced, or voiced, and sometimes even the chord required is flexible. None of the rest of the part is written out, just a bass note and these "figures." So the harpsichordist is making up his entire part above the bass note, often elaborating it. Singers and instrumental soloists also often improvise ornamentation of their melodies in baroque music, as well, and there are many musicians very adept at this - much of the time, it is done on the spot, not written out beforehand. There are also still some soloists who improvise cadenzas on the spot in their concertos, but this is becoming more rare. Stephen Hough is one example. In undergrad, besides my horn performance major I also did a music theory major, and had to take a course in keyboard harmony, including learning to 'realize" figured bass. It was fun, though I have not done it since, and would have to brush up on it to try it - that's not something I could just sit down and do anymore.

This is not so different from what jazz musicians do as you might think. Once you know more about how jazz works, musically, much of the mystery goes away. To grossly simplify it, (and Frogman, feel free to jump in and help me out here) let's say you have a group getting together in a club to play a couple or three sets of standards, a typical one night club gig. Yes, they are improvising, but within a strict framework. There are standard harmonizations and forms for all of the standard tunes, which these players all know (a significant part of their study and practicing). If they haven't played a tune before that is going to be played that night, they also have resort to what are called "Fake Books," which list songs and their standard harmonizations, etc. This is how people who haven't played together before can still get together and sound as if they have - they can study up beforehand, and also talk through stuff beforehand and even on the spot if necessary. So they are actually working within a strict system, though it does not appear that way. This is why even a group that has played together a very long time and that takes requests sometimes has to refuse one, if they don't all know the obscure tune requested and don't have time to figure it out because of lack of a "book" on hand. I've witnessed that happen before in jazz clubs (and I will admit to have mischievously thrown out an obscure tune at my friends, in fun), though usually experienced players will have an almost encyclopedic knowledge of the tunes. Some groups that have been playing together for a very long time would be very hard to "stump" that way. Hope that somewhat answers your question, though Frogman could give a much better description, I'm sure.
Learlsfool,
That explanation really Cleared up a lot of questions I`ve always had regarding the ability of jazz musicians to play so many different songs.I have seen on "rare" occasions where a requested song was not able to be played.I appreciate you sharing your considerable knowledge and experience with the rest of us interested music loving folks here.
Charles,
Chazro, one musician I knew did not practice. Yes you misunderstood me. Others who have been following this thread should have gotten a better understanding.
I am a Jazz musician,but I was trained as a classical musician as well.I lived for a short period in "both worlds"but the last 20 years I have with a few exceptions made a living playing jazz and jazz related music.
In my experience the amount of study time put in by both musician types is more or less the same.one funny thing though, all my jazz musician friends study classical pieces but very few of my classical friends study jazz or improvisation.

Learsfool, I want you to know that I respect your comments as a classical musician. There was an event that made me think about classical music and high end equipment.

When I went to sell my son's sax, the music store owner told me he would pay a lot more if I took it to an instrument repair shop and got a clean bill of health for the horn.

Although there was only one person in front of me, the clerk took a long time explaining what was wrong with their horn. While waiting, I noticed photographs all over the walls; they were taken in this very same shop with the owner, famous musicians with recognizable faces. There were jazz musicians, classical musicians, popular musicians, blues musicians, and local musicians that I knew personally. He certainly had the right recommendations.

Classical music emanating from high end horn speakers made the wait a pleasant one. Normally I don't like classical music, but not only did I like this, I wanted to know everything about it. I suspect the equipment that was generating the music had something to do with this. Since no electronics were visible, I had to rely on my "audiophile sensibilities" to make a determination; old tube high end with a "golden glow" similar to CJ, but possibly older, was my conclusion.

It was a really large room, and all the workers were out in the open at their work stations repairing brass and reed horns of every description. There was a serene expression on their faces as if there was no place else they would rather be, and nothing else they would rather do; it was a very relaxed atmosphere. They actually played music on each horn after a repair; this indicated they were musicians as well as repair people.

On the right equipment, classical music sounds very good. I suppose that's why classical musicians are always into the high end. When the clerk beckoned that my horn was ready, I almost wasn't ready to leave.

It's absolutely amazing how your description of a one night club gig, fit the description of my friend's gigs, and what I didn't know. I saw them talking "musical gibberish" and making sounds less than an hour before a performance. There's no way this can come out right, is what I thought; but they always sounded like they had been playing together for years.

Enjoy the music.