What's wrong with Velodyne?

I have two Velodyne subs. (HGS-12 and older one) and both have worked great, sound great, etc.

However, my experience with dealers is that they think very lowly of Velodyne and politely recommend staying away from them. One dealer used to carry them and dropped them, another well-established dealer said he though many other brands (some he didn't carry) would be better.

Is something going on here that I am missing? I don't think it's just dealers trying to sell products they carry.
bundy
Velodyne has certainly gone more mainstream in their sales channels - you can now buy some models at Crutchfield and other large electronics stores. I'm sure margins are being squeezed as a result plus no high end dealer wants to carry product that is offered in so-called "low end" places.

I have two of their subs and love the performance although I will say that their service level the one time I needed it was horrible.
Velodyne is a fine product. Their DD series is more exclusive and not sold at Circuit City and other mid-fi establishments. The DD series is also some of if not the best subs available. They have just raised their warranty to 5 years for the drivers and three for the electronics.
My feeling is that older Velodynes like the F series had an eye towards music reproduction while the subsequent HGS and SPL series were aimed more towards home theater, thus the negative opinions by music lovers. With the DD series it seems Velodyne has designed a sub that works very well within both worlds.
Bundy, never forget that everyone you talk to has both an opinion and an agenda. This is doubly true of everyone in the CE industry, whether they're a vendor or a dealer.

Itball's point is right on, Velodyne has really branched out their sales channels. To be fair, Velodyne is selective of which outlets sell or have access to which lines, but some boutique dealers don't want to carry the premiere upscale line of a brand that has entry level dreck in mass market stores also.
Nothing. You can't pry the DD-18 out of my system - I won't let you.

As stated above, every seller has an agenda. Credit Velodyne with not only great products but with a Business Model that makes their subwoofers available to buyers at all ends of the spectrum. No matter what you have to spend, you can find one of their quality subwoofers in your price range.