Importance of Amplifier versus Preamp?

New in the field. I am wondering what is most important: a great amplifier with a good preamplifier, or a good amp, with a great preamplifier? Or should I look at a good amp with a great do certain brands make amplifier to go with preamplifier and receivers?
Thank you kindly.
rockanroller
Therefore, after all those advices, the quandary becomes: I will keep the Sony and the SAE ,but I need to upgrade the speakers.
What would be good floor standing used speakers for $1000?
Should I go vintage, or current? Hum.........
Apologies if this is just too far off your initial inquiry, but maybe the amp/pre are fine. For $1500 you could have a really good front end--Used Windows laptop ($300-$400,) jRiver software (on sale today for $44.98,) Wireworld Starlight USB cable ($100,) and a used Benchmark DAC1 ($500), and you still have $500 for great source material.

This would position you towards the future of hi-res, and also Internet Radio and perhaps Tidal.

Buck for buck, for me this was the greatest improvement in sound quality, access to music options, and even reduces the cost of feeding it.
SAE's used to be the dealer's amp of preference for OHM speakers.

You can buy vintage OHMs used for not much, buy upgrades for any model still from OHM, or buy new refurbs or totally new speakers from OHM as well.

Just one option. Many others as well. Read up on what's out there first before deciding.
Rockanroller-

the pre-amp, is the most important piece of the audio chain, as, it is the heart of any system. It should be of the best quality and build. Which brand/model interests you?
Happy Listening!