Importance of Amplifier versus Preamp?

New in the field. I am wondering what is most important: a great amplifier with a good preamplifier, or a good amp, with a great preamplifier? Or should I look at a good amp with a great do certain brands make amplifier to go with preamplifier and receivers?
Thank you kindly.
rockanroller
Audiophiles love to make things complicated.

Integrated gear does the opposite and the technology has improved immensely over the years.

Don't forget the DAC these days when integrating. if you are old fashioned you might even want a phono front end integrated in still as well.
Melbguyl, congratulations on your Vitus integrated amp purchase. I looked it up and it is a beauty along with excellent reviews. At a price tag of a mear $28,000, it should qualify as one of the best, if price dictates performance. Is it designed with a volume control on a power amp or is the preamp section active?

It may appear that John's earlier integrated amp recommendation as a resolution to the OP's situation, does have its merits. In fact I have recently gone with an integrated amp to simplify my system and although it doesn't cost nearly as much as the Vitus integrated, I like the way it sounds! Mine is the dual mono Onix (made in England) rated at 120 watts per channel, plenty of power for my current needs. No I have not sold off the separates but they have been gently stored in the closet for now.
Hi Phd, thanks for your congrats. The SIA-025 is a lovely sounding Class A amp. It's a sizeable investment, though compared to many high end separates it's still a good value proposition imho & one of the most musical sounding ss amps i've heard (especially paired with a VA Signature Series cdp). Btw, I think the US price has gone up to $30k.

The SIA-025 uses a simplied relay-based volume control and balanced input buffer drawn from the SL-102 pre, whilst the output stage is drawn from the SM-010 mono's. So yes has an active preamp section.

The SIA-025 is surely one of the best integrated amps, though there are many other great ss and tube integrateds including the Burmester 909 Mk5, Soulution 530, Ypsilon Phaethon, Kondo Ongaku & on the more budget side, Vac Sigma 160iSE. I haven't heard of the Onix, but will read up on it when I have a moment!
02-07-15: Phd
It may appear that John's earlier integrated amp recommendation as a resolution to the OP's situation, does have its merits. In fact I have recently gone with an integrated amp to simplify my system and although it doesn't cost nearly as much as the Vitus integrated, I like the way it sounds! Mine is the dual mono Onix (made in England) rated at 120 watts per channel, plenty of power for my current needs.

02-11-15: Melbguy1
The SIA-025 is surely one of the best integrated amps, though there are many other great ss and tube integrateds including the Burmester 909 Mk5, Soulution 530, Ypsilon Phaethon, Kondo Ongaku & on the more budget side, Vac Sigma 160iSE.

I also have gone to an integrated amp, apparently on the super budget side, a VAC Sigma 160i. I'm very happy, and have sold off my separates. It makes life a lot simpler, and I now know I'd have to at least triple the expense to top it.

Yes, integrated amps can be beaten, but one has to be ready to pay a LOT more money.
02-11-15: Jmcgrogan2
I also have gone to an integrated amp, apparently on the super budget side, a VAC Sigma 160i. I'm very happy, and have sold off my separates. It makes life a lot simpler, and I now know I'd have to at least triple the expense to top it.

Yes, integrated amps can be beaten, but one has to be ready to pay a LOT more money.
Jm, the Vac 160i could only be considered a "budget" alternative against something like a $73k Burmester or Kondo amp, or maybe $30k Vitus. In fact, your commments suggest it should be on par wit the Vitus...at under half its price!